What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any trouble plants? A list of trouble

I thought bladderworts are easy! I have one coming soon (U. bisquamata).

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Pinguicula primuliflora is pain.

The terrestrial ones are. Aquatics are another story. I agree with Bary Rice.

Last edited:
Once it's at least 2-3", it becomes quite easy but keeping it alive when a seedling is 1" and trying to get to 2" has been an issue for me.

Darlingtonia outside in NJ just doesn't work (imho) without some weird ice setup or flowing water from a cold mountain spring... people in the PNW don't realize how great they have it...

U. quelchii is being a pita for me recently & I have yet to figure out exactly why. Latest experiments seem to indicate that my humidity is too low....

Reliably bringing any plant from the petiolaris complex into and back out of dormancy for multiple seasons was an exercise in frustration. That group of plants is both the best & the worst of the Drosera spectrum - all in one.

D. villosa - 2 plants side-by-side, one is thriving and one is struggling to live. Same basic story with every set of conditions I could imagine. Amazing in their ability to frustrate.

While frustration is part of the growing & learning experience, finding the secrets to each plants 'happy place' is a journey worth taking & incredibly satisfying when things come together.....

Oddly enough, after being a laughingstock with cobra lilys, they did wonderfully well, outside, in a planter. In gneral, I struggle with plants that want relatively cool, well-lit, highly humid conditions. So that would include D. schizandra, tuberous sundews, helis,....

I have tried running cool water past the roots of my Darlingtonia. I am going to try it again. I find utrics very easy to grow. with the aquatics you do have to make sure not to get any carpet or hair algae in the batch. That stuff kills everything.

Aldrovanda is another one that I have trouble with.

My problems are Darlingtonia californica.
I thought I cured the problem by growing these inside Spring to Fall and moving them outside in Fall to go dormant. I sometimes get 2 years out of a plant and then they just crash. I've tried some different soil mixes. The one that lasted the longest had the least amount of peat moss, a lot of perlite and lava rock in an orchid pot. Next time it will mostly be Turface. Just need to find a Darlingtonia californica again.

Drosera schizandra. Just can not keep it cool enough inside the house over the summer.

Last edited:
Problem plants...
I seem to have some problems with mexican butterworts.... I just don't even know where to begin with them, as far as keeping their soil moist or what to kind of substrate or how much light....

Perhaps the information in this thread may help --> Cultivating Mexican Pinguicula

True.....I swear that they must come from the moon or something......full sun but cold roots....:scratch:

full sun doesnt always equal warmth! ;)
full sun and cold roots is easy to explain...mountain streams..

yes, Darlingtonia is adapted to full sun and cold roots..because of where they grow naturally,
which has plenty of sun and cool water.

its quite difficult to replicate those conditions, because most of us dont have mountain streams handy when we try to grow them, and its not easy to keep roots cool otherwise..which is why Darlingtonia is so hard to grow.

Scot

I kept a small darlingtonia alive for the past 12ish months outside in San Diego in full sun, including the 100 degree day we had. I keep the ~2" plant in a 6-8" white plastic pot full of about 2lfs: 1perlite, sitting in water halfway up the pot at all times. I keep vft's and some temperate dews in there too. It also survived 2 weeks straight of 85-90 degrees day and night as well. I hope it continues to do well next year too..

My N. venticosa chug along in any temps I give them exo, maybe you just had a bad clone....
The only plants I have problems with are N. rajah, and N. talangensis, they won't pitcher for me... Not reliably anyway, though N. talangensis currently is....
I also occasionally have problems with Dionaea or S. leucophylla during the winter, rotting and the sort...

I have the "Red" clone.....and it hates me.

as far as raja pitchering, I found that it would only pitcher if the tendril had something moist to sit on....hanging tendrils never pitchered.

Where to even begin?! ;) :D

I've killed about 7 N. ventricosa, but I have also gotten them to pitcher profusely in high humitiy and low lights, as well as outside in full sun with Sarracenia. I have had a horrible Sarracenia season, no pitcher production whatsoever from various S. leucophylla clones/hybrids and S. minor, which did very well last year sitting in stagnant water for months :p

Darlingtonia - 2 kills, but after a somewhat thought-through cold running water setup I have them alive after 1 year of caring for them, in the fridge :D Don't know how they'll do next year.

I have not yet succeeded with Drosera linearis, yet oddly my Drosera arcturi whips out leaves like there's no tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Utricularia tricolor, Yes, only the once, but oh what a beauty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a consistent failure with Cephs... They just don't get along with me and I have sent several on to meet their makers.

Cole

Cephs can be a challenge. some grow them easily though? Different clones?

Back