Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk Me Out Of Sugar Gliders!

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently in school, so it would be at least a year or so until I graduate and get them, but I'm not too worried about bored, I am good with maintaining pets. I'm pretty sure I will get them when I can, and I plan on getting a breeding pair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 words for you..

-HIGH
    -MAINTENANCE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and continuing cost. Like children, pets require constant care and attention. They need regular check ups and care if the get ill. Make sure you have plenty of extra cash. Recently my dog torn his ACL. This required about $800 in surgery and a lot of care. We had a cat that had kidney disease, multiple surgeries and finally death = lots of cash. I got a rescued dog that I knew was dying from a bad heart, but was determined to give him a couple of good months = $$$. If you get them make sure to have a stock of cash meant for their care. Good luck.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    havent read all the posts as im short on time but i have kept Sg's.....they are nocturnal and want to play when you want to sleep and generally very grumpy bout being woke up midday.....the food requires preparation unlike most other pets.....very sharp claws and they dont understand that your face is not a suitable landing spot.......must be kept in groups, can get neurotic as hell if their mate dies......must be fed every day so you need someone to feed them if you go on a trip.....

interesting critters, was glad i kept them to experience them but i will not get them again in the future....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with all above posters. I haven't kept one, but I understand high maintenance. I got a bearded dragon before I fully understood all the attention they require. And the vet bills! Yeouch!

I'm not saying "don't do it", but just be sure you have all your ducks in a row before you do.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A relative of mine has a couple flying squirrels. She keeps them in a macaw cage at night where they can run around and play. This cage is easily the size of your average closet.

The cage had to be modified and grid was welded onto it because without it they could squeeze out. Each squirrel has its own wheel made for flyers/gliders, to keep the nails trimmed there is special sandpaper inserts that go on the outside of the special wheels. There is a constant supply of nuts, and bird seed, but fresh fruit and vegetables are given nightly, probiotics are given, vitamin supplements are given, and the toys (bird toys pretty much) have to be rotated out every few months or else they will get bored and "power groom" bald spots.

During the day, they stay on my relative at almost all times. She is their "tree" and they sleep in her bra, they will crawl around from one pocket to another. During the evenings hey spend time with the whole family they belong to and they will jump and glide around, run around.... Doors must be kept shut, toilets all must stay closed when not in use, cealing fans must be off when they are out.

They are as demanding as a dog or cat, except very fragile. These are flying squirrels but the care is essentially very similar to sugar gliders... They both need proper diet and housng, interaction, etc.

It is my understanding that gliders are much more mellow than flyers. Flyers are skittish, like any other squirrel. I'm not allowed to eat potato chips or any snack that has a noisy bag around them when they are out because it freaks them out. They are toilet trained and are taken to go pee on a papertowel on a glass dish three or four times a day. Not making that up lol. They still poop everywhere, but at least they don't pee on you.

With all that said... They are completely worth all the expense, trouble and effort if you are willing to meet their needs. They will proved you with years of companionship and happiness if they are anything like flying squirrels. They will form a bond with you, and will in essence become your little buddy and pal and not so much a pet. For my relative, the squirrels are as much a part of her family as her kids or husband are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grandfather down in Arkansas found a baby squirrel on the ground seemingly helpless so he took it home and raised it free range around the house and kept it until it died a number of years later. Wasn't a flying squirrel but he found it good company. As far as finding an exotic pet vet, good luck with that. The vets around here don't even deal with rabbits or hamsters or anything "simple" like that (my aunt's lop ear got sick) they send you to the University of MN which will run you very big bucks indeed!

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry cant talk you out of it! i have a few and love them to death GET ONE!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast