Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk Me Out Of Sugar Gliders!

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk Me Out Of Sugar Gliders!

So I am currently very driven to get 2 sugar gliders as pets. I understand their need for a complex diet and handling time, and fully committed to researching and dedicating my time to their needs. However, having never owned them before, I'm sure there are other concerns I haven't addressed. Has anyone here had any experience with these as pets or have any advice on them?
    I'm just musing for now, but think I would really like them as pets,
    Kyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just some points that are universal for any pet and often forgotten:
    Have you figured out the monthly cost of ownership? Are you employed currently, can you manage that?
    Is there a vet that can tend to them in the area- do you have a nest egg incase of an emergency?
    What are you doing for the next 10-20 years of your life? Are you ready to deal with their complicated requirements for THAT long, or do you honestly see yourself getting worn out/bored/tired after the first year?
    Is moving somewhere that may require you to surrender them a potential problem?

Find an active sugar-gliders community/forum or two. That's the best way to learn everything there is- from other's experiences. They'll also know the secrets the generic guides and pet stores won't tell you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most definitely what Liz said, seek out online forums and try to read all their archives, look for active forums who have new posts everyday. And make posts yourself asking questions if you don't see the answer, tell them you haven't got any yet and are only researching, decent forum people will appreciate your research, answer your questions and post links to info to help you out - they want you to succeed with your pets as much as you do.

I would love a pair of the little guys (supposed to keep them in pairs for their emotional well being), I bought a book on keeping them some years ago and there is a reptile shop in Minneapolis who breeds them but never did get them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i used to have gliders(hence my name) in all honesty they are like dogs. they need attention. you form a bond with them that you dont form with any other kind of pet. they are truly special little animals.

some things to note:
    -give them LOTS of space. they love to scamper around and a big cage is needed to make them happy.
    -diet should consist of lean proteins(in moderation) and fresh fruits and veggies. crickets, mealworms, pinky mice and nuts are treats that are high in protein but should only be given in moderation.
    - fresh clean water at all times....duh
    -give them PLENTY of toys and things to occupy their time in their cage. several nesting boxes, bells, excercise wheel(wodent wheel= amazing), sterile branches and even fake foliage all make for great objects.
    -as said above... make sure you have a vet already lined up. it took me almost an hour and a half to find a vet then another hour to drive out there when my last glider got sick... took too long and she unfortunately died.

be sure to do plenty of other research and have a fair bit of cash saved up. they grow on you... quick. so be ready. good luck!

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're really looking to be talked out of this just take into account that they are forest canopy gliding creatures, and you will most likely never be able to give them the habitat they deserve.

The same goes for flying frogs, flying geckos, flying snakes, flying squirrels, most birds...

Those creatures are built to soar from tree to tree experiencing the exhiliration of flight. Will you ever be able to provide that?

Of course there are all the other practical reasons that everyone else mentioned about owning an exotic pet like this.

But in my opinion it's kind of like keeping whales in water parks, they are built and meant to live for so much more...

(have we lost ourselves)
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    meant to live for so much more...

(have we lost ourselves)
    lol...really?

back to the topic, i would never try to talk someone out of taking an animal out of a pet shop. as long as you know the responsibilities you will be doing that animal (or those) a favor. Currently me and my gf are looking into...chinchillas, wolf hybrids, mini-pigs and another rabbit. lol. fantasizing about having any one of these (or your gliders) is alot of fun, but actually having one or some is a huge undertaking (seems to me the smaller they are the more responsibility).

so...if your like me...then you'll probably get them so...HAVE FUN! take a BUNCH of pictures! (make sure to show liz) lol.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to those who've already posted, check with Rattler & Trapper7 - both have owned gliders...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many years ago I was tempted to get a pair of them. I bought a book or two on them, read and researched on the web.
    They sounded more demanding then what I was able to provide so I never got any.

About a year ago I looked into them again and thought I saw something on some breeder pages that they could not ship to certain states. So you may want to be should that you can have them in your state.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast