What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Bay San Jose Plant meeting

Hello friends,

Me and my close friend were thinking of holding a carnivorous plants show in South San Jose area, but we are not sure of how many people in San Jose, or close to San Jose will attend. I am surveying to see if anyone is interested of attending a Carnivorous Plants show meeting in San Jose. Please let us know your take on the idea.

Thanks for looking,

Jeff

Hi there, fellow neighbor!

Have you heard of the BACPS? Each June we have a HUGE plant show, though I'll admit, it's in Oakland. Not that far, though, considering how far we gotta go to see the nearest CP nursery. And that's lucky!

That said, maybe we can do a smaller wintertime show, to show off all our off-season beauties: ultra-highland Nepenthes, tuberous sundews, whatever wasn't in it's best form during the summer.

We were thinking of a get together for people here in the South Bay. There's quite a number of growers who may not have the time on Saturday to make the trek all the way up north. Something local for the locals - so to speak. We fully endorse and support BACPS - of which we are members. This would supplant - pun intended - the existing show or meetings, but add to it. Allow some of the South Bay growers an opportunity to showcase their plants, and even sell some of their excess plants. I am pretty sure that I can secure a venue and it would be a significantly lesser trek for those of us who live in the area but often can't make it to the meetings. The place I'm thinking of is serviced by light rail and caltrans - it is at the terminus of the Santa Teresa light rail and has good parking facilities so whether you decide to take mass transit or drive here, it would prove less of a hardship in terms of transportation. We're thinking early spring - so sarracenias would be putting out some of their best pitchers and HL neps would be at their prime. Just putting out feelers right now. We would welcome any and all help from BACPS as well.

I live in the South Bay, and would certainly attend. I regularly sell plants at BACPS meetings and the BACPS show. I know a few other folks in the area who would probably be pretty excited for the opportunity.

Lil Stinkpot and Jurow, it will be honor if you guys can join with me and Brokken in the meeting. If both of you have any suggestion, we will be glad to hear your input.

That's an excellent point.

I'll be there. Just make sure to remind me, LoL!

Are we gonna post this on the BACPS forum?

Right now, we're trying to get a feel for the type of response. We haven't made any formal announcements yet as we're still trying to gauge how CP growers in the area feel about it. The people that we've asked have been very receptive and positive towards a south bay get-together. Right now it's pretty informal but as we continue to get feedback we will begin the process of formalizing an event if there's enough interest in it.

Hey Brokken - I would consider driving up from LA depending on the weekend you choose. There are a number of you I haven't met yet and would welcome the chance at a meeting such as this. Just let me know if it comes to fruition...I'm interested!!

jerks....both oakland and san jose are equi-distant from me :p
you south bayers can have your fun. :-P-:

Look at this way: You are centrally located to both. You have the best of both worlds. :)

Brokkent is right. You can always go to both because we will try to schedule the meeting on a different day as the BACPS, which mean more Cp meetings for you. :)

Amphirion, you go! Silly. If you are in the middle, and it takes us in SJ only 30-40 minutes to make Oakland, then it's only 15-20 minutes to us. :p

Hmmm..... I dunno if I'd have anything to sell, but I'll have fun there anyways. Let's make a picnic of it!

BTW: would we need permission from the property owner? Maybe we can meet up at, say Vasona or some other park, where no one would bat an eye at our merry little group.

I have in mind a covered venue at one of the local libraries. They are very excited at the prospect of having a CP plant meet. The room is about the same size as the one which we use at the Berkeley Botanical Gardens.

The last BACPS meeting we talked about other venues for the meetings. A few people have mentioned how hard it is to always go to Berkley, and want a change in venue. So even if you guys have your meeting you should inform BACPS of the venue and maybe get some BACPS meetings there in the future. Just a thought. There are a lot more growers in the south bay then north. North bay RULES! :grin:

I've sent an e-mail to Bill Weaver of BACPS. Would love to do it with their help, but even w/o it, I think we could put together something.

If the library is eager, then let's go!

This is getting kinda interesting, really.

We have secured our venue (Santa Teresa Library, San Jose) and come up with a date: April 2nd. Our South Bay Show is a go! :) More details to come.

Congrats
i will definitely try to be there as long as life doesn't get in the way of what I want to do

If I fall off the map, as I tend to do on occasion, remind me! :-O

Back