User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most valuable CP in the industry?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I did not know about U.campbelliana. That is a beautiful beautiful plant. ALMOST worth 150 Euros.

But still... it seems that N. edwardsiana is still more expensive. Could you imagine how much, say.... a six inch across plant would go for? Crazy.

Yeah, Cephalotus are spendy, but not edwardsiana status. I would say that Cephalotus is the on average more expensive genus than Nepenthes.

Then there are the "not in market" plants. I'm sure Triphyophyllum, N. klossii, or N. pitopangii would command mind-staggering figures.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes Hamata, villosa, macrophlla could eat your money.
    "Due to the recent economic crisis and budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adult mature specimens of Cephalotus are certainly worth their weight in gold.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really.
    They have become more common and prices do not bring as much as they did a few years ago.

A plant is only also worth what someone is willing to pay.

A common plant can be worth more to a grower if it has sentimental value and no $$ value.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking in terms of monetary value just cheapens the worth in my humble opinion. All life is precious. One of the LACPS members said there was discussion at the ICPS conference on how new forms or even species of Nepenthes will get collected to extinction from the wild to exist thereafter only in the collections of a few wealthy and privileged collectors.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im going out on a limb and saying Nepenthes jacquelineae x izumae

reasoning, you can get ahold of eddy but since the first plants of this cross were released when they turned up in collected jac seed they have been unavailable, and going back to the "what someone is willing to pay" line of thought ive offered more or less a blank check and have been unable to replace the plant i lost...i could have picked up a eddy at several times in the last year.....

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Thinking in terms of monetary value just cheapens the worth in my humble opinion. All life is precious. One of the LACPS members said there was discussion at the ICPS conference on how new forms or even species of Nepenthes will get collected to extinction from the wild to exist thereafter only in the collections of a few wealthy and privileged collectors.
    the other line of thought is if a plants worth nothing and becomes disposable they arent as likely to be taken seriously and preserved....the more these plants are worth the more likely they are to be protected.....make a tourist industry out of visiting them on remote places makes it more likely that their habitat is preserved......same sort of thing has happened with wildlife in Africa, the only three places wild animals are doing well in Africa are those in areas to remote for many ppl to live and these places are getting very rare, national parks where tourist dollars for photo safaris pay for anti poaching patrols and hunting concessions where there is a dollar figure on animals heads and hunters pay for anti poaching.....like it or not hunting dollars paid for saving the elephant and rhino and is currently saving the giant sable.....

you want to save wild nepenthes and nepenthes habitat? make them worth something so that protecting the land they are on is worth more than clearing it and erecting buildings....encourage a photo safari type industry....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarracenia21 View Post
    Nepenthes Hamata, villosa, macrophlla could eat your money.
    macropyhlla is a bit spendy, but villosa is incredibly cheap now...and hamata is getting rather cheap in comparison to what it was a few years ago....

Now, definitely a mature edwardsiana would hold a hefty price tag, as a near mature one was just sold on another forum for a few grand IIRC...

any other neps that are "rare" would roll in bucks, mainly things you dont see in cultivation, TC or in large quantities....
    I.E edwardsiana, klossii, pitopangii, attenboroughii, hurrelliana, the TRUE thorelii, etc....
    sure, cephs are "valuable" but not as much so as they used to be...the only ceph that would fetch insane cash now, is Eden Black, or specimens that fill a very LARGE pot...

but as others have stated, dont collect plants because of their value, collect them because you like them...

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but as others have stated, dont collect plants because of their value, collect them because you like them...
    What if you like them because they're valuable? lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast