User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most valuable CP in the industry?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @SK: villosa may be incredibly cheap, but it's still hard as hax to find....especially in the states.

@Listserv: then you'll be in a rude awakening once they become commonplace.

does anybody still remember the N. campanulata fiasco years ago? XD
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amph, its only been hard to fine villosa here recently.....
    last year it was readily available...
    but i really need to fine another one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Thinking in terms of monetary value just cheapens the worth in my humble opinion. All life is precious. One of the LACPS members said there was discussion at the ICPS conference on how new forms or even species of Nepenthes will get collected to extinction from the wild to exist thereafter only in the collections of a few wealthy and privileged collectors.
    I totally agree with this.

However, I don't see it changing any time soon. We are so far out of a egalitarian subsistence-based society that it has been bred into us to be capitalistic and greedy. Unfortunately there might be no happy medium.

You make the plants not worth anything and like rattler said, they can be plowed over by poor tropical folk who could care less and are hungry. You make them valuable and then you have rich white people who just can't help but take a seed pod or two or three or five with them when they leave.

The spirit of monetary obsession has reached all levels of society almost everywhere. It's sad but true.

There is a difference between a plant being rare and a plant being valuable though. Some plants are completely priceless, like jacq x izum. People wont sell those because no amount of money represents their worth.

Sort of like how edwardsiana used to be. But now that they are "more available", they are still commanding hefty prices.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by massmorels View Post
    I've never heard of a ceph going for thousands of dollars...
    Uncompleted eBay auctions have reached these prices a few times but the buyers have disappeared before paying for the plants. Iirc, Cephalotus prices peaked around $6-700 a few years ago for HG Cephs - no? Although I wouldn't be shocked to see a mature 'Eden Black' get in that range ....

The highest N. edwardsiana price visible to the public was over here (I believe)

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    @Listserv: then you'll be in a rude awakening once they become commonplace.
    Supply & demand typically dictate prices. When something first becomes available (or some s/d imbalance jolts the mkt), there is frequently a mania of sorts which causes a rapid, short-lived rise in price (D. falconeri was a good example a few years ago as are several of the plants previously mentioned). Since most plants can be mass-produced using t/c, once established in vitro, supply can usually overwhelm demand for most plants desired by the fairly small CP community. Plants that have barriers to t/c (ie: 'Adrian Slack') tend to remain at a higher price for a longer period because conventional propagation only slowly catches up to demand, but even in these cases, they tend to come to equilibrium at lower prices after some time. For example, 'Adrian Slack' is in many more collections now then just a few years ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by Listserv.org View Post
    Adult mature specimens of Cephalotus are certainly worth their weight in gold.
    As Steve already commented - not really. They are nice plants and are grown & appreciated by a significant number of CP growers, but as an investment, their 'mania-phase' peaked a few years ago and their prices continue to plummet.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me....cephs and helis are the most valuable. Just cus I like the look of them so much. Maybe not to the CP community but to me they're the most valuable.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watch Ceph prices on E-bay alot and they have definetly been dropping like a rock over the last year. Hummers now are only about 1.5X typicals, they used to be 6-10X. Now the other odd non registered possible cultivars are getting the 10+X dollars but they are very rare and hard to find. Heli's are out pricing Ceph's by a long ways. You can easily pick up a Ceph for $25 if your willing to wait and watch the auctions. Good luck doing that with most Heli's.

If your looking for price by weight...well Utric's would take that prize.

My favorite CP is a weed and I'd pay alot if I had to replace it, lucky for me I can't kill it...I've tried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen some EP hybrid nepenthes go for prices that would melt ones credit card just by looking at them!
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most valuable plant IMO is whatever you think it to be. Supply and demand, right? Edwardsiana can get high up there, sure, but it isn't worth so much to me because I don't really like eddy. The most expensive plant might not be the most valuable, either. Value can't really be measured in price anyways, unless spending loads of money means a plant is valuable.

But either way, people will fork out the money if they want a plant. Just look at how many people have jambans and rare Helis and Neps from Wistuba.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast