User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I get rid of fungus gnats?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pings take care of fungus gnats rlly well.
    What also rlly helps is lowering soil wetness.
    If i let stuff become a bit drier between waterings the gnats will eventually disappear.
    Only try that if your plants can handle it though :P
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One recommended method of control is the let the top few inches of the medium dry out completely between watering. This is not practical with most carnivorous plants that require constantly moist medium.

Another effective method is to mulch the surface with about a 1/2 inch (1 cm) of sand. This prevents the adult gnats from finding or reaching the layers of organic matter that the larvae need to survive in. This works best if the mulch is in place before any infestations begin. Again this may not be practical with some species.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, NaN, I'll try that on the remaining CP's. Sadly, the P. Moranensis has died. The crown turned brown and mushy, so I lifted it up and there was a HUGE "colony" of fungus gnat larvae crawling around in there. I removed the pot and threw it away. I think they were all living in that pot because it was the only one with peat in it (all the others are LFS) so hopefully that will end the infestation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, after taking out the moranensis, the gnat infestation has worsened a lot. There are now a lot more of them flying around in there. I tried letting the soil get as dry it can get without the harming the plants, but that didn't seem to help. My bicalcarata is failing (not growing and old leaves turning brown) so I am willing to try anything drastic. I spent all my allowance on buying dog supplies for my new puppy, so I can't buy any chemicals or sprays. I was thinking if I submerged all of the plants in a few gallons of distilled water for a day or two that might be able to kill the larvae? Most of my plants are in LFS so I don't think the soil would be problem. Right now, I have a P. Primuliflora, D. Spatulata, N. Ventricosa, N. Distillatoria, N. Ampullaria, N. Bicalcarata (which I'm really worried about ) , D. Adelae, and several Sarracenia sprouts in the infested terrarium, but I have temporarily moved them to a different tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. THanks

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A two pack of Mosquito Dunks will run you about $6 at Sears. They run from $4-10 depending on where you buy them. You can find the six packs for about $6 online although shipping will jack the price up. Soaking won't help because the immersion won't kill the eggs.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123