What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long have you been growing CPs?

I killed my first VFT a few years ago with bacon:D.

This time I did research for around a month before buying any. Haven't lost a single plant yet....knock on wood. Places like this really help. This place has so much info I rarely have to even start a "how do you" thread just use the search function:).

Five and a half-ish years. Whoa...time flies when you're having fun!

Consistently....
about the last 22+ years.

In fact I still have one Nep. hybrid in particular... got it about 1990 or so*... (give or take a couple years)... along with my first Ceph and some other nice C.P.'s... and have had it (the Nep.) ever since! Still going strong, in spite of nearly killing it a couple times! (Last time was by "improving" my lighting system!)
Even used to sell rooted cuttings to some well known (but older) distributors.
Also used to throw away yards of vine, knowing no one who was into CP's at that time!

*Getting some real nice plants from a great guy who was liquidating his collection, really kept my interest going strons and it never waned since.

Before that, my interest and growing of them was on and off, mostly with other plants and things getting in the way from time to time over the years...

Started growing CP's when I was about 14 y.o. or so... so since about 1969 or '70.
(Went on to working in a plant store at 16 and got into growing and learning about other plants from there.)
Kept on with CP's from there till about '79 or '80 (got married and all that, along with interest in other things equally wonderful), and then on and off from about '82 till about '88 or '89 (Normal/common VFT's/Sarrs/Dews). That is about when I got my first Nep.* and other plants not long there-after, growing and expanding my collection and experience ever since.

Overall, proof that for some of us, once the CP love bug bites you, you stay bitten!

Meeting others into the hobby has been a real blessing ....for the most part!
Have met a handful of wonderful and knowledgeable people, along with many others who also love growing CP's.
As was mentioned, time flies! :-D

Just about 7.5 months. Started out with a P. primuliflora, D. adelae, S. purpurea, and D. muscipula. Guess I dove right in. o_O

About a year an a half.

I've been growing my collection slowly. So far I have a neps, a few sundews, a ceph and a ping.

I have grown them 2.5 years. I do not have many plants, but I still like this quite a lot.

I grew my first plants in 1965 and it's been on and off over the decades.

About a year :awesome:

I've been growing for around 8 years now...

Started almost a year ago now and started with a Venus Flytrap and a Drosera Adelea and still have them today.

I've been growing CP's all day long..

I got my first VFT when I was 11 at Woolworths but I wouldn't say that I was 'growing' it. More like slowly killing it. Then I tried growing them inside a terrarium with moist, rich loam in super hot, moist conditions thinking that's what they liked when I was 20. When I was living in my NYC apartment. There were few resources around and no internet, so I made the very common mistake of thinking that they grew in tropical conditions. If you count those experiences, then about 30 years. I've been SUCCESSFULLY growing them since March 2006, so nearly 5 years now.

Let's see... I've been growing temperate CP's fairly successfully for about 2.5 years, which doesn't include about 1.5 years of when my sister and I repeatedly failed in growing venus fly traps as houseplants. Luckily the VFT's were inexpensive failures. My best successes have been a number of Sarracenia and several different types of D. binata.

It all started with a little N. ventricosa that I accidentally knocked off a shelf when I was 8. :p No serious collecting happened until two years ago, though.

I have been growing CPs for almost 3 years now. Talk about adictive......

Funny, I can remember my first, and my second.... and then its all a blur until just last year. I'm trying to think, and I honestly don't remember how long its been... not TOO long, probably like three or four years.

Summer 2000. I had just graduated elementary school and was about to enter middle school. I was curious about carnivorous plants and constantly searched the Home Depot garden center for them. I then discovered that Franks across the street sold CPs, but I couldn't go there that day.

A few days later, my mom picked me up from the YMCA summer camp with a surprise. She went to Franks on her lunch break and bought me a "buttewort". I had no idea what a butterwort was. In fact, it looked like an ordinary plant. But then I read the instructions and it said any insect that landed on the leaf would get stuck and the leaf would roll over the insect and digest it.

I went home and immediately fed it a LoveBug (not knowing the ill effects those things have).

A few weeks later, I had to go to Boy Scout summer camp for more than a week. When I got back, my plant had rotted away :-(

Further, the local Franks went out of business and I didn't know where to find CPs. Eventually, my parents discovered Lowes sells CPs and my next plants were a Nepenthes and a Drosera Adelae in September 2000.

Those eventually died, but I started searching the internet and soon discovered nurseries and growing tips.

To make a long answer short, I've been growing CPs for about a decade (started summer 2000)

I've been growing for a short four years. Still so many things to learn.

Back