User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How long have you been growing CPs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long have you been growing CPs?

Just wondering how long the peeps around here have been growing CPs as a serious hobby (childhood experiments with the odd vft or S.purpurea are exluded )

I've been growing as a dedicated hobby for almost 6 years now.....my first CP was a D.capensis "red".
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well im going on a year and my first was nepenthes ventricosa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since october.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started in 1996 with neps, quit in 2003, started again with neps 2010

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand your your reason to exclude childhood growing however...

I first start growing carnivores was ten years ago when I was ten. However, studying them as a hobby started a year or two before that due to the wonderful wild D. rotundifolia you can find in my area. My first batch of plants was S. purpurea, D. muscipula, D. capensis, D. californica, and N. ventricosa. Not surprisingly the plants all died one by one with surprisingly, the cobra lily lasting the longest only after the D. capensis which survived for years.

So that was my child hood experience that is excluded, however I struggle to exclude it because my capensis lived until I re-ented the hobby after I had gotten through the worst of my teenage angsty years. So in a way, my growing of CP's never stopped. (thanks to capensis. )

But the rebirth of my interest started with a N. bicalcarata that I purchased four years ago.

So in short:

Ten years if we're counting capensis and wild dews.

But four years since I really lit the flame back up again.

And pretty much one or two years since I let all shame go and started buying plants hither and thither without forethought.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    started in the 2nd grade---off and on mostly VFTs, subtropical dews and sarrs, darlingtonia (once). stopped when i went off to college. started again last year, but this time growing some pretty crazy stuff. pretty much showing that it is possible to collect a decent collection within a small period of time.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    I understand your your reason to exclude childhood growing however...

I first start growing carnivores was ten years ago when I was ten. However, studying them as a hobby started a year or two before that due to the wonderful wild D. rotundifolia you can find in my area. My first batch of plants was S. purpurea, D. muscipula, D. capensis, D. californica, and N. ventricosa. Not surprisingly the plants all died one by one with surprisingly, the cobra lily lasting the longest only after the D. capensis which survived for years.

So that was my child hood experience that is excluded, however I struggle to exclude it because my capensis lived until I re-ented the hobby after I had gotten through the worst of my teenage angsty years. So in a way, my growing of CP's never stopped. (thanks to capensis. )

But the rebirth of my interest started with a N. bicalcarata that I purchased four years ago.

So in short:

Ten years if we're counting capensis and wild dews.

But four years since I really lit the flame back up again.

And pretty much one or two years since I let all shame go and started buying plants hither and thither without forethought.

I'm not completely excluding childhood growing, I'm just excluding those "oh cool, a flytrap!.....and now it's dead" moments.....I'm sure everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do know exactly what you're talking about. Only I killed expensive plants like Darlingtonia and Nepenthes. oooo Pretty! oooo dead.

That capensis was a trooper though, I can't believe it actually managed to die. I don't even remember when that happened either. Just one day I looked up at it and there was a mangle of dried flower stalks.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast