Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setup?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setup?

Ok so im guessing there is a thread all ready but i figured if its not to personal of course,"Dont want to steal anyones Green Thumb Secretes" To start a thread where we can put down. I believe sharing this will help aid a lot of ?s Most people may have, just buy looking what others grow and under what conditions what work well or not.
    -What setup we have.
    -What Conditions....temp/humidit for,
    HL
    LL
    Or any other CP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are plenty-o-threads that deal with with this. each works for that grower's specific needs, so what works for one might not work for the other.

but here's mine:

and the whole shabang:

t5 lights, two hygrometers on the ends of the tank, w/ two ultrasonic humidifiers---and a squirrel fan to top off. location is on a poorly insulated windowsill which allows for phenomenal temperature swings.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So come spring im going to top my my pots with spag to have a live layer how much do i need to put in to get it started and get what yours look like?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well what are you growing? You're talking about planting for spring, but it also seems like you're asking about setting things up indoors. Up in your area you're probably going to need a sheltered location if you want grow temperate plants like flytraps or Sarracenia outside of the warm season. It takes a little extra work to get those plants through the winter that far north - but on the other hand your long summer days can grow some really impressive flytraps. If you're growing tropical species like Nepenthes or most Drosera, it's mostly a matter of shelf space. If your home is dry you might need a terrarium for finicky plants like Neps, but most Drosera and other common CPs are very forgiving as long as they receive good light and appropriate watering.
    I suggest getting some of the big wire shelving units you see many people here using: like these here
    And some four-foot shoplights. (Why four-foot lights? They're the kind that get used in offices and big buildings, so they're cheaper than smaller bulbs because they sell in bigger quantities.) T8 or T12 are both good - whichever you get go for the highest wattage available (40W on most T12s, I think... dunno about T8s.) If you can afford to invest in high output T5 fixtures, they're worth it in the long run, but kind of pricey for someone just starting out.
    From there you can grow a lot of good stuff. If your air is too dry for some plants, there are various ways to set up a terrarium, but I'd suggest learning what you can do without one before going down that road.
    Best luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i already have a grwo rack greenhouse with a lot of plants i jsut like the look of the moss in the pots is all im going to harvest some when the snow melts jsut was wondering how thick to lay it for it to root well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nothing fancy, but here is mine:

A lot of things are in baggies right now--there are a few pots of sundew seedlings, several pots with freshly sewn gemmae, and a number of new neps that are currently acclimating.

Temperatures are in the high seventies to low sixties. For light, I have dome clamp lamps with 26W daylight fluorescent bulbs hooked up to timers plus a little sunlight comes in through the window (trees block most of the sunlight, especially in the summer). Humidity is whatever it is in the room with a little boost from the sphagnum. Everything is stacked ghetto style on books and plastic bins. And that's pretty much it. Like I said; nothing fancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey they dont seam to mind it at all they look great

Heres mine
    So heres the new mini greenhouse i just picked up for 30$ at the local grocery store.
    Photobucket
    Maxima Hybrid of idk
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    S. Purpurea
    Photobucket
    Cuttings from peeps here and ceph
    Photobucket
    Seeds and another cutting.
    Photobucket
    ceph....
    Photobucket
    I have a total of 9 compact 25 watt 6500k florescents randomly as well as 3 24" 20 wat tubes both soft white and 6500k, a humidifier and fan......day temps 75-80 ish and night 60-65

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my humble setup. It's pretty simple. Terrarium with three lights two of which are CFL and one that is a "plant bulb." I cover the whole thing with a plastic bag to keep in the humidity. I increase the humidity with my awesome Japanese mister.

I like planting plants inside the sphagnum moss and I try to keep the bottom completely covered with live moss. I also planted some Utrics and a dew or two in there just for fun. Notice how I have a lot of the pots helter skelter on top of one another and such.... I'm not very organized at the moment. But as soon as the bicalcarata comes out I will do some major changes.

Jacquelineae and bicalcarata pitchering next to each other.

LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast