Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learning is NOT a bad thing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here, I study the crap outa my plants before I get them, and I study the crap outa them after I have them too.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One word here: agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    I wish the stores that sold CP's, like Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot,.... would put the easy ones out on the market (D. capensis, D. binata) instead of VFT's, Darlingtonia, Neps, and enigmatic ones like D. adelae & P. primuliflora. Just because they can TC them, doesn't mean they should be put out on the market, for certain death, from extreme lack of knowledge, dormancy requirements, and poor growing instructions.
    Now this I don't agree totally with. Many of use get plants from these sources! Just look at my beautiful n. ventrosica! If they had darlingtonia over here, I'd buy a few!

The following is not to dissagree as much as it is to share my experiences:

My first CP I grew successfully was a VFT. I grew it during the summer, and divided it even, and transplanted it like 5 times in a period of 3 months. Yet, however, both divisions thrived...due to my reading about them on the internet. So, there was a bit of trial and error in addition to the reading.

I should mention that I also grew one before in horrible conditions for a whole year. I had it in a bunch of ferns (extreme shade), watered it only with ~500 ppm tap water--and that only when I remembered it. I even kept it in the original 3" pot. I still have pictures of it flowering...but of course it didn't survive that

After this, I bought $70 worth of plants and had my first and only fridge dormancy. This was my biggest CP purchase. With a second 1/2 price and a few death cubes...rest obtained through trade.

So, VFTs can be very hardy, especially for someone used watering normal plants. They can take more salts and sometimes less water than most drosera...not to mention wider variation of temps...maybe even light! Some of the others mentioned can be also.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point is that the typical consumer of CP's, buying them for the first time, knows enough about them to be confused and dangerous. They put VFT's & Sarracenias on window sills, not knowing they need as much direct sunlight as they can get. They are totally unaware of dormancy requirements. They use tap water and even boil it, thinking that this is the way to provide good water. Plants like Darlingtonia, P. primuliflora, and D. adelae, even for us forum folk, find them to be enigmatic. They grow alright for awhile and then decline, without us understanding why. At least with something like a capensis or a binata, they have a fighting chance. Most people buy CP's without having prior knowledge about them, treating them as typical houseplants, subjecting them to a slow death.

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first vft did great when it was on a windowsill... or so I thought. My version of great fit it perfectly: It started as one leaf and became a ton, though they were small. I liked it. It was when I found that they needed a dormancy and I put Pluto in the fridge that he died. Poor Pluto...

If the newbies' method works, they shouldn't change it. If it eventually dies, you find out the hard way, so you know better. My best lessons happened because I did something stupid and there were consequences. Of course, throw the information out there, but they're not morons if they don't follow it. though a 200 dollar ceph might be bad subject matter...
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12