What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saved myself $2!

Vbkid

Getting There...
Living in Missouri, I got about 4 inches of snow today. I also happened to conveniently run out of distilled water today. As I was about to walk down the block to our local grocery, I realized there was plenty of what I needed outside! So I grabbed a large plastic container, scooped off the top 2 inches of snow from a pretty big patch in my front lawn, and let it melt! Now I ahve just over 2 gallons of water to use for the next week or so!

Nice!

This is a trick you can perform all year round whenever it rains though. Just get a tarp, piece of plexi-glass, or some other equally flat and sterile surface, and create a small gutter system that can direct all the rain-catch into a bucket.

This is how we get all our water up here, but it rains a lot here.

I do this too! You can collect it, microwave it to melt it, add more snow, microwave etc etc until you have more than you need! Although, I normally just leave a bucket outside in the rain from spring 'till Autumn, and it just fills up within a week ^_^ the benefits of cold and rainy locations, eh! :)

After paying the electricity bill you might not end up saving anything, maybe even paying more. Even though it takes longer since you're already paying to keep your room temperatures above freezing why not let it melt at room temperature at little additional energy cost?

Around California we can usually find vending machines that dispense RO filtered water for 25-35 cents a gallon. These consistently test out to under 10 ppm of total dissolved solids. Results may vary depending on the quality of the unfiltered water supply and the skill and motivation of the technicians maintaining the vending machine.

I collect the snow from the porch and bring it into the living room to thaw. Wife is less than impressed!

Back