Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchased an RO unit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have a flush valve but I bought it and installed it myself some time after buying the initial unit it didn't come installed. Not sure if that would affect the original flow restrictor? Is it simply a matter of cutting the waste water output down and forcing more water through the membrane?

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it normal to have to drill a hole in the pipe for the waste water? I always get nervous about drilling holes!

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Into the drain of your sink? Yes, if you are installing the RO unit under your sink, you will drill a hole into the drain for the waste water. Unless you want to connect a longer hose to it, and run it outside for watering your lawn/plants outside! My RO that is in under the sink goes to the drain, my 2 ROs that I have (one in each greenhouse) each have 50ft 3/8" hose on them (50' is too long for 1/4" hose and increases back pressure) so I can move them around the yard and water trees/lawn....
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Andrew. So was it pretty painless to drill a hole? I watched the installation video and that seemed to be the most questionable step for me... everything else is simply connecting hoses. They said installation should take less than 30 minutes. I can't wait!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so I'm really iffy about all of this. I'm not exactly the most "handy" person.. so I want to hear just how easy it is to install one of these units. I can drill a hole though.. lol.. I'm not to worried about that part.
    Also, I have no idea what I'm looking for when shopping for a unit.
    If I don't end up buying the same exact unit as Baylorguy, then this is the only other one I see that I can afford. Again, I don't know what I'm looking for.. so how's this look to you more experienced peoples?

http://www.wateranywhere.com/Water_F...9856cd76946efb

And is it worth the extra $20 to go from a 12 GPD unit to a 75 GPD unit? I can't imagine I'd ever use more than 12 GPD.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's likely just a plastic pipe, so the hole is cake to drill. When I moved from my apartment, I just replaced that one pipe

Mass, if you get a good one, it should come with everything you need. You hook it to the cool water, hook up the waste water to the drain, and the rest is just connections around the unit. It really is a 30 min. deal.
    That kit looks ok, but I generally try for 3 stages before the membrane, you do not need the polishing filter that is after the membrane unless you are also going to be drinking the water. One other note about that system, is it will only make about 12 gallons of RO a day, that's pretty slow and only if you have a few plants will it keep up, that can be upgraded though as mentioned earlier in this thread I believe.
    Andrew

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

yes, I would get the larger membrane. You may not use 12 gallons a day, but remember the system only holds about 2.2gallons at a time so it's how fast do you want it to replenish that 2.2 gallons of water in storage.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the 75 GPD unit that Baylorguy is getting would be my best bet huh? Okie dokie.. I'll get it ordered and on it's way.
    Oh, guess I should mention that I've got to keep it under $200. That's my max price range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mass, the unit I got came highly recommended from several people, so in terms of quality, it'll be solid. You can look at some of their videos on the website... they explain the components they use and how it is one of the best bangs for your buck. Let us know what you decide!

Phil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast