Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchased an RO unit

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purchased an RO unit

Thought I would get some of the expert opinions on this one. I did much research and talked to the reef gang and this came highly recommended:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...er-system.html

It is a 4 stage system with a complete drinking water kit (3+ gallon pressurized tank, sink faucet, etc). It does not have DI, but according to the research I did on terraforums, it will make water that is plenty pure for carnivorous plants... should easily get me under 10 ppm. Oh yeah, I was pleased to find out that it is a 75 GPD unit... and it looks like it has really high quality filters and parts. Complete filter replacement kit is only $31.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice! This is next on my "To Buy" list.. Let me know what you think of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks pretty nice with the option of hard connection (and the tank) or the quick connection. The $31 replacements is nice, does that include all three: carbon, sediment and TFC membrane? My 75 GPD TFC membrane is $90 to replace.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mass! I'll definitely leave feedback... I am just thrilled that I'll have this bad boy under the sink... sure beats going to the store.

Swords, I don't think it includes the membrane. I was wrong, the replacement cost is actually $20 and includes the following filters:

5 Micron Purtrex sediment filter
    1-MATRIKX + CTO®/2 Carbon Block (5 micron)
    1-MATRIKX® +1 Carbon Block (1 micron)

Hopefully it won't be that hard to install... I've never done one of these.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked up replacements on that site and it says $35.99 for the 75GPD membrane, it doesn't specify if it's a TFC membrane or the other kind (I forget what the other type is). But it claims theirs is useable in all R/O units, would sure be nice to buy my next one for 1/3 the price.

I use my R/O on a quick connect fitting to the kitchen faucet, with just a push of a button I can pop the hose on or off going from making water to washing dishes and then back again. Under the sink would be nice if you had the room and were good with plumbing but I didn't wanna hook it up that way incase I screwed it up and flooded the apartment below me. Which I did anyway once - never trust yourself taking a nap while making water! LOL

My 75 GPD unit makes a 5 gallon pail of water in 2 1/2 hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want RO parts.. this is the place to get them.
    http://www.wateranywhere.com/

Swords - if you have the standard RO filter housing that you see with most multistage units then any 11 3/4 x 1.8" diameter membrane will fit.

You can even upgrade to a higher GPD rated filter but you would need to change the inline flow restrictor.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW those are some really great prices Tony! I will have to measure my cartridge but one of theirs has the same look (shape/color) as mine. Any idea if they will take it back if it doesn't work? Do these cheaper cartridges last as long as the more expensive TFC membranes I've been buying from Marine Depot for all these years? I replace the membrane every March and the other filters every six months.

Do you have any links with info or a description on how to change the flow restrictor to swap out for a larger membrane? I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one around here who'd like to double their GPD output for a few dollars in parts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the salt rejection % is around 98% then they will give very high quality water. They should last just as long as any of the TFC membranes from the fish supply companies... they are probably the same membranes.

I don't know if they would take them back if they were installed and used but unopened maybe? As long as the unit you have uses standared size ro membranes and not some odd size proprietory filter, then any of the small size residential membranes would fit the housing.

As far as flow restrictor. You would have to look on the waste water output line to see what is currently in place. There are a variety of different types. It may be a seperate piece in the line or might be combined with a flush valve. Some units don't use a preset inline flow restrictor but instead have some sort of needle valve to slow the wastewater output flow.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast