Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The plant I'm most proud of growing this year is: ____________

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This reminds me of two more that I'm happy about.

The first "TLC" plant I got was a little vine-y Nepenthes that had gotten badly sunburned on it's way from (wherever) to me. The stem was cooked about halfway down. I knew the top wasn't going to male it; so I cut it off for cuttings, and hoped for the best. This is the first time I had ever done anything like this. None o he cuttings took. Just as I was about to give up on the base, a little green speck emerged from the stump. Ohwowiejoyjoyyay! The plant is now almost three feet tall, with 8-10" uppers. It's not the prettiest plant of all (but certainly NOT ugly!), but Mass can tell you how hard it will be to get me to let go of it.

The other plant....
    Mystery Nepenthes are tough, especially if it's not pitchering. What is it? What kind of conditions does it require? No one but the plant can tell. I started with five plants, all "TLC". One died immediately, one continued to decline regardless of what I did, one is still ill, though I think I have it in the right spot now, one is finally happy, and may show it's identity soon (yay!), and one hasn't stopped getting bigger. The last is the one I'm happiest with. I still don't know WHAT it is, because it's throwing immature pitchers, but I really don't care. It's beautiful! Red leaves, light golden fuzz, and porcelain pitchers with bloody spreckles inside and out. This may yet be my favorite successful "rescue" plant.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2010 has seen a few 'successes' and also several of the 'anti-successes' (hoping to minimize them!).

Probably my most satisfying result was the size, health & flowering of my D. schizandra. Although I'd grown these guys for years, it wasn't until I started to regularly feed them WFFs that they moved up a size and flowered. A 2nd plant also started to flower but aborted when I stopped feeding it.

Hopefully 2011 will be the year of Orchidioides flowers ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'd say my Ceph for keeping it alive a couple months now, but that totally doesn't count because I didn't grow it.

So (and I'm relatively embarrassed to say it), my pick would go to my many D. adelae.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be embarrassed reaper!

Your D. adelae are literally the most impressive that I have seen. It really does look like a D. regia every time I see it.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-01-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, thank you, Dexenthes. I do love how big and colorful they are, it's just weird saying, amongst this community, that D. adelae is what I'm most proud of growing. XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woah!! Nice plants and stories everyone!!

I'd have to say my is S. "susan frost"

I recieved this plant from Syble. (ocps admin) She grew this form seed herself and I have taken a liking to it. Also, this is one of the plants that survived my neglect of the year 2010.

I really enjoy seeing these pictures and reading these little stories... I hope to see moar!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Your D. adelae are literally the most impressive that I have seen. It really does look like a D. regia every time I see it.
    Absolutely agree - that's a very impressive, well-grown plant! It has a very different appearance than the clone I grow. Congratulations!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-01-2011 at 09:25 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for me it would have to be my N. diatas. I bought this plant as an unhappy tiny thing with 2 dried pitchers. By the year's end it had doubled in size and boasted 8 inflated pitchers and 2 more forming.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123