Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Discretion Needed

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discretion Needed

I am way beyond tired of people posting on the open forum telling someone the are wrong,ridiculous or embarrassing other members in general. I think it makes you look like more of a jerk than the person first making the comment . Isn't that why we have PMs

Praise in public. Disgrace in private
    Jest my 2 cents
    Lois
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust me, Pms didn't do a lick of good in the incident you are refering to, you just can't reason in a civil manner with some people.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As if ganging up in public, name calling and infantile mocking posts did any good either. And people didn't take the hint despite warnings, edits and message deletions by the moderators. I find the lynch mob mentality that has been gripping this board the past couple years most disturbing. It's about enough for me to quit this forum.

But then I guess Lois and I are from a generation where our parents would try to teach us "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it".
    Last edited by Not a Number; 01-06-2011 at 09:35 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure wich generation your from but im younger and was raised the same way, i think it all has to do with how we were brought up, weather we had parents who cared or ones that were never home it shows on the type of people we become.Respect your elders, do unto others....make a good first impression because you never get a second.

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R ball 1 may be or 2 generations older than you
    Yep Warren probably a generation thingy or jest a sign of maturity and or being grown up
    I was not referring to any one situation in particular as I see a couple of this instances on a daily basis
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is the season for drama!

I agree. It's best if even harder under some circumstances, to be as polite as possible. I mean there are all sorts of forums on the internet. Many of them are filled with the dregs of shame and respect for other posters. Terraforums is freaking sweet, we have our own calender and a great little congregation of serious plant nerds!

As well as the noobies too, as increasingly younger and younger people have access to the internet. Which is a mixed blessing, because as Not a Number brought up, younger generations (I hate to say it [myself included]), are being brought up with or without the same morals that some of the older folks who grow plants around here have. Yet those younger people are the ones who will carry the carnivorous torch so to speak, in the future.

It would be a shame if all us young folk scared the old folks who actually know what they are doing away!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to be good, but more and more recently my patience has been wearing thin. In my defense though, I've had run-ins with a number of people here where we resolved things privately and both came out with a better understanding. But then there are times when a situation gets out of hand, and certain people need nothing less than a kick in the behind.
    I'll agree though that the overall attitude is becoming more and more bellicose around here - I often find myself choosing not to participate in discussions as such these days.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lois,
    I'm not sure exactly to which incident you are referring, but you are right. Rule Number 1: Be Nice. The subtext to that rule: Even if you're justifiably annoyed.

I said this the other night, but it bears repeating. One of the wonderful things about the CP community is that we literally have people from all walks of life, all genders, all ages, and for the most part we all get along. I think this is a fantastic environment for people new to the hobby, which is also a wonderful thing. Sometimes it is difficult for us to be patient with certain individuals, but often times, once they learn what the community is like, they do calm down and start to go with the flow.

If somebody is breaking rules, being disruptive, bothering you in PMs, etc...Report it to the mods. Let us do our job and correct the person. Being ganged up on by 50 different people often just makes the person defensive, and escalates the situation even further. Don't give us more vomit to mop up.

If somebody is upsetting you, and you are angry when you write a reply to their post, don't post it right away. Get up, take five minutes to cool down, and re-read what you wrote. Then, either edit it or delete it.

If you don't think you can stand reading somebody's posts, Ignore them. Straightforward, right? I'm starting to sound like a broken record.

This community truly does mean a lot to all of us, and we want to see it continue to thrive and be awesome. Help us out, guys!
    -Emily

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast