What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
Most of you know about NASC. For those of you who don't I want to take this opportunity to bring awareness to a great organization that is doing a lot to save the plants we love.

The mission of the North American Sarracenia Conservancy is to serve as a living record of the taxonomic, morphological and genetic diversity of the genus Sarracenia for purposes of conservation and cultivation.

Primary goals:
1. To preserve genetic diversity by maintaining a living collection of the genus Sarracenia species and variants.
2. To safeguard genetic lineages of plants for possible future reintroduction into the wild, after plans for such reintroductions and subsequent monitoring are approved by a board of experts from a variety of NGOs, Federal/State Agencies, etc., as appropriate.
3. To further safeguard the maintained genetic diversity by facilitating widespread cultivation, by Sarracenia enthusiasts of all the maintained variants, thereby to better ensure variant survival.
4. To abate poaching by making rare and endangered varieties readily available.
5. To maintain up-to-date, accurate and relevant data to meet or exceed normal scientific standards for the maintenance of plant material.

Secondary goals:

6. To research Sarracenia variability and traits so as to understand the range of variability requiring conservation.
7. To raise public awareness of Sarracenia and habitat destruction so as to solicit their greater indolent in conservation of the genus and its habitats.
8. To record accurate, up-to-date data on current Sarracenia habitat conditions
9. To make all variants readily available to enthusiasts.

During our short existence, we have done a lot of good things. We have given thousands of dollars to Splinter Hill Preserve in Alabama, Myrtle Head Savanna Preserve in North Carolina, Botanique in Virgina, A Nature Conservancy site in Georgia, starting an anti poaching campaign in North Carolina, We have also assisted the International Carnivorous Plant Society and the Florida Carnivorous Plant Society with removing plants form an construction site in Florida and put those plants in NASC's growing program so that their genetics will not be destroyed. We have also helped land owners to manage their properties so that Sarracenia could remain in their natural habitats. We've assisted in a study by University on North Carolina-Wilmington to do a genetics study of Sarracenia, plus many other projects.

I am hopeful that we can continue this work in the future, but we need your help. We have recently lost a number of board members due to health issues, work schedule's and just life in general. If you have a love of Sarracenia, a little free time (a couple hours a month minimum) and talents that we can use, we would love to have you on our board. If being a board member doesn't interest you but you'd still like to help, we are in need of volunteers to do small projects for us.

We need trustworthy people that have experience or an interest in running and maintaining a web site, producing a quarterly newsletter, running a nonprofit organization , doing pubic shows to educate the public of the importance of saving unique habitats. More importantly we need people that just want to help. If this describes you please contact me at voodoodancer @ gmail . com

I'll shoot you an email sometime this weekend. I'd love to help with the newsletter and presentations, and I've got some experience with webmastering, although I'm not especially fond of it. I'm also interested in learning about nonprofits, although I don't really have any experience with that kind of thing.
~Joe

Mark, is it ok if I post this to the LACPS listserv/group?

Seedjar, Sounds like we could use your help. Contact me and we'll see what we can do.

Notanumber, Please repost this anywhere you like.

I don't mind educating the public. I'm jest not sure of that pubic show

Quote"doing pubic shows to educate the public of the importance of"

I emailed ya, Oz!

Hi French, I'm sorry nobody got in touch with you. I would like to know in what aspect you would like to help. Please email me with how involved you would like to get with us.

Thank you.

Back