What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Earthworm massacre!

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
I am going to re-pot my Sarrs, and would like to ensure all the worms are out of the roots before I put them in new soil. All of my plants are elevated; anything that's in there now (waaaaay too many are already) has been in there from when I had them on the ground.

It is especially critical that I get the worms out of the bog plants. I have these plants in water right now, with washed roots, but some of these plants are very large, with branched rhizomes. I know I saw some pink in between the biggest rhizomes. :scratch:

Would water drown the worms? I really don't think so, but I may be wrong. Maybe I can draw/lure them out....

Use an electric car batery hooked up to a metal rod put it in the soil when its real wet and all the worms will surface. pic em out then let it be for a while the rest will die

Use an electric car batery hooked up to a metal rod put it in the soil when its real wet and all the worms will surface. pic em out then let it be for a while the rest will die

Hmmm... I can only recommend that you don't touch the metal rod while you're zapping the worms. :-))

u can if wearing rubber boots, it will prevent u from being grounded.....i do it all the time for bait. One time my dog ran by and he didnt like it though. I use one i made that plugs into a cord but the battery will work fine.

I can see it now in the monthly newsletter:

Temperate Carnivorous Plant growing tip:

"It's that time of year when you should think about cattle prodding the ground to get all the earthworms out of your Sarracenia." :-))

But yes, worms do drown in water that is why when it rains they come out in the masses due to their ground getting flooded.

So I guess if you are steadfast on killing them, you could either as rball has suggested, electrify the ground, which I have never done and don't know what it could do to your plants, or you might be able to soak them in a tub of water and see if they don't all come wriggling out.

This. And video.

I meant I just thought it would be funny to see a video of someone sticking an electrified rod into a their Sarracenia pot so that the earthworms would come up.

Ha ha ha ha ha! Good one! YOU first, and take video!

Picking ten thousand two-inch (and smaller!) worms out of a hundred pots will take me weeks.

rball, I just thought of something.... You said an electric car battery? What other kinds are there? Diesel? What about marine batteries? I have two of those. :nana: I'm just pulling your leg. :-O

So I was mistaken, and flooding will kill worms? Oh, goodie! It's easy, then: I'll just split up the re-potting process into two halves, with a week interval when the plants sit in buckets of water. (Sounds like something I'd do when I run out of time/daylight.)

Back