Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earthworm massacre!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Earthworm massacre!

I am going to re-pot my Sarrs, and would like to ensure all the worms are out of the roots before I put them in new soil. All of my plants are elevated; anything that's in there now (waaaaay too many are already) has been in there from when I had them on the ground.

It is especially critical that I get the worms out of the bog plants. I have these plants in water right now, with washed roots, but some of these plants are very large, with branched rhizomes. I know I saw some pink in between the biggest rhizomes.

Would water drown the worms? I really don't think so, but I may be wrong. Maybe I can draw/lure them out....
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use an electric car batery hooked up to a metal rod put it in the soil when its real wet and all the worms will surface. pic em out then let it be for a while the rest will die

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rball0406 View Post
    Use an electric car batery hooked up to a metal rod put it in the soil when its real wet and all the worms will surface. pic em out then let it be for a while the rest will die
    Hmmm... I can only recommend that you don't touch the metal rod while you're zapping the worms.
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    u can if wearing rubber boots, it will prevent u from being grounded.....i do it all the time for bait. One time my dog ran by and he didnt like it though. I use one i made that plugs into a cord but the battery will work fine.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see it now in the monthly newsletter:

Temperate Carnivorous Plant growing tip:

"It's that time of year when you should think about cattle prodding the ground to get all the earthworms out of your Sarracenia."

But yes, worms do drown in water that is why when it rains they come out in the masses due to their ground getting flooded.

So I guess if you are steadfast on killing them, you could either as rball has suggested, electrify the ground, which I have never done and don't know what it could do to your plants, or you might be able to soak them in a tub of water and see if they don't all come wriggling out.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rball0406 View Post
    This. And video.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what u mean?

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

heres how to make one....http://www.ehow.com/how_6006756_home...m-shocker.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant I just thought it would be funny to see a video of someone sticking an electrified rod into a their Sarracenia pot so that the earthworms would come up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast