Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: i am a redneck......

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wolves? I have a far worse problem... fire ants Stupid things were introduced here by a ship and have been killing all the native ants. I use chemical warfare whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MH1 View Post
    In India, some people eat rats...I'm sure most things nasty die after being cooked! I have have heard of many a suspicious curry that was definitely NOT goat : that's why the Indians spice food - to hide the taste of not-so-good meat.

To comment on this, I am pretty split on this discussion. I am practically a vegetarian, partly because I don't like killing animals (indirectly or not) but also because I'm not really that keen on the taste anyway. I respect people who 'cook it, kill it, eat it', as they actually understand the process behind it all, which is better than trying to ignore the connection between meat and animals. I think this has blown a bit out of proportion really, so long as it's not affecting you or damaging the environment, I don't really see the problem. If you are going to kick up a fuss about something like this, the fishing industry (I mean INDUSTRY, not individual fishers) is a better party to attack.

I'm quite amazed about this whole reintroduction of a non native species though! However, you may be 'controlling populations' of animals, but human kind can't really be called a 'native species'. We might have been around for a few thousand years, but how long have some of these animals been in America? Maybe this is a stupid point, but we do get wrapped up in ourselves sometimes, we only really belong in Africa... I'm not saying putting wrong predators in a place is good, it is very wrong, nor am I saying we should all just move to Africa, but it's just a thought... although I do understand it is to protect cattle etc... I just wanted to make the point... we so often get wrapped up in where we are 'from'. If the wrong wolves are being introduced, you really should kick up a fuss!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Est View Post
    We're already killing them... If there wasn't potential for a public health hazard, I'd say "go for it."
    True facts. Millions of stray animals are euthanized in shelters every year. Right now they're garbage, but I think one day we'll probably be hungry enough...

See: fire suppression. Plenty of good memos still going ignored.
    Sigh, yeah. Back to my pit of despair over what our species is doing to the planet.

On the flip side, though, we humans are in an interesting position here at the top. Many people go vegetarian because the net environmental impact of farming plant crops is so much lower than that of ranching cattle, etc. Many hunters are very mindful of the ecological relationships between animal populations, and have done work to restore the balance that has been lost. As a species we do recognize that our actions have consequences...and I think that gives us the duty to act as good stewards of our planet. I think we can all agree there.
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @baylorguy
    Not only do my plants eat bugs, my cat and dog eat meat!
    *gasp! the scandal!*
    I however, can survive without, so I don't eat it. Simple enough reasoning to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where's that "like" button?

Quote Originally Posted by Presto View Post
    On the flip side, though, we humans are in an interesting position here at the top. Many people go vegetarian because the net environmental impact of farming plant crops is so much lower than that of ranching cattle, etc. Many hunters are very mindful of the ecological relationships between animal populations, and have done work to restore the balance that has been lost. As a species we do recognize that our actions have consequences...and I think that gives us the duty to act as good stewards of our planet. I think we can all agree there.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto View Post

this isnt a blanket statement, it depends where you are, some places my family run cows is impossible to farm and to make it possible would destroy more habitat than running cattle on it.....gotta figure most the interior of the US had millions of buffalo and with proper grazing practices running cattle on the ground is no more harmful than if the buffalo were still there.....feedlots cause huge environmental impact, pasture raised beef not so much.....

as far as the eating of wierd things, if your squeamish at all and are invited to some feasts on indian reservations, best not to ask what kinda meat is in the stew......dog, least young ones dont taste that bad......and if cats taste anything close to mountain lion they are going to be good eats, of any wild game ive had mountain lion is at the top of the list as far as good eating.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just goes to show, it takes all kinds to grow carnivorous plants.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    this isnt a blanket statement, it depends where you are, some places my family run cows is impossible to farm and to make it possible would destroy more habitat than running cattle on it.....gotta figure most the interior of the US had millions of buffalo and with proper grazing practices running cattle on the ground is no more harmful than if the buffalo were still there.....feedlots cause huge environmental impact, pasture raised beef not so much....
    Right, and I didn't mean it to be a blanket statement. My point was more that people will interpret their responsibility to the environment in a way that is right for them. Whether that means ensuring their meat is coming from a sustainable source, or looking to other sustainable food alternatives. Neither way is "correct"...just different means to a common goal. And both commendable IMO.
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a good example of this is where i hunt....its federal ground leased to ranchers for pasturing cattle during late spring/summer/early fall but the cattle have to be off by the end of November.....dont know how many times cattle have ruined a shot at a buck cause the cattle dont affect the local deer, elk and pronghorn populations at all and they will intermingle at times......this has to do with the fact cattle are grazers like buffalo where the deer, elk and pronghorn are mainly browsers and dont compete with each other for food.....

the area is also rich in sage grouse which are declining elsewhere because of their feeding grounds getting plowed into fields.....out where i hunt the ground isnt good gor growing wheat but is fin for the short grass and sagebrush that the sage grouse need, and they view the cattle as no different than the buffalo they used to deal with.....running cattle out there has had nearly zero environmental impact where raising crops would.....you see all the critters and vegetation you would have 1000 years ago minus the huge herds of bison which have been replaced with smaller herds of cattle.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast