Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bath salt drug epidemic??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chibae View Post
    I have to stop back in here now that I've reread the article and did some research. These bath salts are not your buy in the grocery store name brand products. They drugs designed for the express purpose of getting high. They are being sold legally because they are being marketed as" bath salts". They can be found for sale in places like gas stations and small stores right next to the "natural male enhancemnet" pills and "quick energy powder".
    This is not the case of people not knowing what poisons lurk in their gardens or shampoos but one of deliberate marketing, via web sites and such, of a drug.
    but in all reality how is that different from say nutmeg being marketed as a cooking spice when it can be used as an intoxicant or cooking sherry?
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    but in all reality how is that different from say nutmeg being marketed as a cooking spice when it can be used as an intoxicant or cooking sherry?
    Because nutmeg's sale is regulated as it is first and formost a food product. Anything can be misused. Look at what happened with pseudonephrine. I was pointing out that these "bath salts" are not even what they claim to be. Diluted in water they won't even get absorbed through the skin. BTW if you want to take them that way you have to add some grapeseed oil to the bath. Then it will absorb nicely.
    Last edited by chibae; 01-22-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typos
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats my point anything can be abused, doesnt matter what its marketed as.......lots of stuff in bath salts isnt necessarily meant to be absorbed through the skin, some of its entire purpose is to smell good.....some things that smell good can be toxic if ingested in small or larger quantities.....if you read through any herbal remedy book and the line between helpful and harmful can be very fine.....

if the companies are actively targeting minors its one thing....if minors are using substances targeted to adults as alcohol currently is than i dont see the problem, its a parenting issue......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean bath salts aren't just salt? Man, if these dumb kids want to trip, just eat some shrooms.

Making something illegal is not the solution, prohibition doesn't work.

I wouldn't worry about people eating nutmeg. Try eating a spoonful, disgusting. Hard to keep it down, so nasty you just want to puke it back up.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chibae View Post
    I have to stop back in here now that I've reread the article and did some research. These bath salts are not your buy in the grocery store name brand products. They drugs designed for the express purpose of getting high. They are being sold legally because they are being marketed as" bath salts". They can be found for sale in places like gas stations and small stores right next to the "natural male enhancemnet" pills and "quick energy powder".
    This is not the case of people not knowing what poisons lurk in their gardens or shampoos but one of deliberate marketing, via web sites and such, of a drug.
    Yikes, that is what I slightly suspected was the case. The same sort of thing happened a few years ago with a "household cleaner" that was actually just mostly GHB. I don't think anyone used it for cleaning...

The difference is the intent of the product. Nutmeg, unarguably, is a delicious spice. (well delicious is arguable). It has been used in cooking for who knows how long. These bath salts it sounds like, are just mostly drugs with little to no recorded use in "Bathiness"

if the companies are actively targeting minors its one thing....if minors are using substances targeted to adults as alcohol currently is than i dont see the problem, its a parenting issue......
    The difference is that alcohol is openly acknowledged as a drug and there are legal age requirements, specified places that sell it, and pretty well enforced laws regarding it's use. These bath salts have no such regulations. Any kid who wants to get high can buy them.

Of course, I think your point was that if the kid wants to get high, that's a parenting issue. The fact is, though, many kids resort to drugs despite how hard their parents try for them not to.

Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    You mean bath salts aren't just salt? Man, if these dumb kids want to trip, just eat some shrooms.

Making something illegal is not the solution, prohibition doesn't work.

I wouldn't worry about people eating nutmeg. Try eating a spoonful, disgusting. Hard to keep it down, so nasty you just want to puke it back up.
    Mushrooms aren't necessarily easier to find, especially in the black market. And wild harvesting does involve a pretty heft risk of ingesting some sort of Galerina...

And people already do eat nutmeg. But of course, you're right, it's so disgusting that it can't possible have much of an addiction potential.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How Beevis and Butthead!

I actually read about Thailand or Malaysia or somewhere banning the sniffing of methane for a high, namely cow farts!

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Nutmeg? No way no day. I've read it causes dry mouth, hypertension, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and migraines.

Also read this:
    "The active ingredient in nutmeg, myristicin, is a delirient, meaning (so it makes you delirious!). However, a myristicin-derivative is a strong irritant called myristical oil, found in mace (you know, that stuff that gets sprayed in people's eyes in riots - Eds.) Nutmeg users often have wicked sinus headache on coming down, as their eyes and ears have effectively been maced. Probably the cause of my two day 'hangover. Finally, myristicin can cause serious damage to your liver, just like overdosing on aspirin/paracetamol."
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nutmeg has been used by sailors and prisoners since WWI IIRC as an intoxicant however it doesn't seem worth the bother. Years ago my old roommate made up a bunch of Nutmeg gel cap pills, he basically just got sick and irritable for about a day and a half. Screwed up a good weekend for the both of us. Definitely no tripping happened and he was certain there would never be a repeat bioassay involving himself and Nutmeg. LOL

I agree that mushrooms are about the safest thing for adults to partake in for recreational experiences. A-holes and psychotics should stay well away from them though, they will surely have a terrible time and maybe develop bigger problems than they already have. For an average person it's less harmful than a night binging on alcohol at a party, provided what they are eating really is a Psilocybe and not some other little brown mushroom's they've found and they're not behind the wheel of a vehicle. Only place people can grow shrooms legally in the US is New Mexico where it was decided that cultivating them for personal use does not equal manufacture of Psilocybin. However it's only a state law and the feds can still bring the hammer down if they get wind of your hobby mushroom patch. Infact, with harsher penalties on a small amount of safe and natural mushrooms than if you had a whole car full of actually dangerous hard drugs like coke, meth, heroin, etc.

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"life is short

stop and smoke the flowers"
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast