What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For yourself, for your loved ones...

Est

War. War never changes.
Staff member
One of my good friends from high school lost his girlfriend today. She was a wonderful young woman who had a lot of loving family and friends (me included). She died due to complications from an infection with H1N1. That's one of the most upsetting parts -- this horrible event could have been prevented. So here is my call to all of you:

Please, for yourself, your loved ones, for every other person out there, get your flu vaccine. It's cheap, accessible, and it saves lives. H1N1 can kill healthy young people; Jessica was only 22. This year's flu vaccine includes H1N1, and for those of you who can't handle needles, there is even a nasal spray version.

Please help prevent these terrible losses. Take care, TFers.

Profound condolences to you and those that knew her. I'm very sorry to hear of this tragedy. May she rest in peace, and may you all heal with time.

Sorry for the loss, although it saves likes....its also destorys them, my cousins father was insantaniously paralized from the neck down as soon as he had gotten the shot, come to find out its not that rare, 1 - 136,000 has a chance of becomeing paralyzed.....

That's awful :(
However, I will not get the vaccine because of possible hidden side effects that come out 5 years from now.

That's awful :(
However, I will not get the vaccine because of possible hidden side effects that come out 5 years from now.

There was the 1976 case of the Flu vaccine possibly causing Guillain-Barré syndrome:

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/gbs_qa.htm

but apparently in 1976 you had a one in one million chance of developing this GBS if you got the flu shot in 1976..and there has been no conclusive link between GBS and the flu vaccine since then..

Getting accurate data for "what are your odds of dying from the flu" are difficult,
but using a reasonable estimate of 25,000 people a year in the USA:
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/us_flu-related_deaths.htm
and the US has a population of 307,000,000 people..
then your approximate odds of dying from the flu are one in 12,000..

not precise math perhaps..
but the odds of dying from the flu are MUCH MUCH higher than any "possible hidden side effects that come out 5 years from now."..which in reality probably doesnt even exist..

I agree with Est..get the flu shot!

Scot

the problem with associating getting a vaccine with Guillain-Barré syndrome is a whole list of things cause Guillain-Barré syndrome........whole lot of ppl that never get a flu shot develop Guillain-Barré syndrome......

Got mine a few months ago.

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, Est. :-(

The place I work fill the flu / h1n1 bulks into syringes. We are offered a shot right from one of the released batches in house by the company nurse. I always get one ! Seriously guys why would the company offer these shots up to employees if they thought it might hurt their workforce ? They wouldn't. I'm in the quality area so we check and double check and then check again. It's all good by my guys !

Sorry to hear about your friends girlfriend. All I can say is that if your in a higher risk group there shouldn't be a second thought. Git 'er done.

I fully respect any decisions people make about their own bodies, including abstaining from vaccines, but it also scares me when people might choose the same thing for their children and/or warn against them. Vaccines are used because they have a positive health benefit. A vast majority of studies agree with this also.
Either way, I feel for people who have been harmed on both sides of this issue.
Kyle

I fully respect any decisions people make about their own bodies, including abstaining from vaccines, but it also scares me when people might choose the same thing for their children and/or warn against them. Vaccines are used because they have a positive health benefit. A vast majority of studies agree with this also.
Either way, I feel for people who have been harmed on both sides of this issue.
Kyle

never could quite figure out the parents that say no to vaccines for their kids because of mercury that is in a few but not all of them but insist their kids eat tuna.....a large tuna sandwich contains more mercury than all the vaccines you will get in your entire life.....

Doesn't this years H1N1 flu vacine contain last years strain or does H1N1 not mutate like all other types of flu.

That's the main reason I don't get the flu shot. Well that and the fact I rarely ever get sick due to diet, excercise, and vitamins.

My oldest son got H1N1 the first year it was out. Wasn't much more than a common cold to him. None of the rest of us in our house got sick.

I am indifferent when it comes to the flu shot. I am sure it helps some, but if you are healthy and have a healthy immune system your body can most likely handle influenza IMHO. Of course, I am not a doctor so who cares what I say.

Yeah i would but i got a shot and i still GOT IT! that's why i don't take them any more.

Doesn't this years H1N1 flu vacine contain last years strain or does H1N1 not mutate like all other types of flu.

That's the main reason I don't get the flu shot. Well that and the fact I rarely ever get sick due to diet, excercise, and vitamins.

My oldest son got H1N1 the first year it was out. Wasn't much more than a common cold to him. None of the rest of us in our house got sick.

I am indifferent when it comes to the flu shot. I am sure it helps some, but if you are healthy and have a healthy immune system your body can most likely handle influenza IMHO. Of course, I am not a doctor so who cares what I say.

this years H1N1 vaccine isnt just that strain like the one last year, it also contains two other strains.....

and keep in mind the vaccine isnt for the normal knock you on your rear for a couple days strains that most everyone gets every year....the vaccine is for strains that have the potential to kill otherwise normal healthy ppl.....the vaccine isnt for the strains than make you feel like crap, its for the ones that tend to kill ppl....

Ah, good to know. Yes, I know H1N1 is supposed to be pretty high powered compared to other flu strains and it is definately something you need to weigh yourself as to if you need a flu shot or not.

But again I think your overall health is the best defense against disease. The problem with most Americans is that they are vitamin deficient with weakened immune systems, normally dehydrated too.

But I digress. Flu shots can help.

Sorry for your loss Est.

as i said though.....the shot isnt for the strains that make you and me sick and might kill some elderly ppl, its for the strains that take a normally perfectly healthy young adult and put them in the ground......H1N1 isnt as strong as they figured it was gonna be but it had all the warning signs of being a major global killer......the other thing that helped is that it was close enough to a different strain that was in a vaccine years ago that ppl that received that vaccine had an immunity to it which helped it from spreading aswell.....

Back