Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coming out of Retirement!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T5's would seem better for highlanders.
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just all depends on what you end up doing with the room and how big it is. Yes, heat will always be an issue with MH/SV lights, but they do have air cooled lighting systems. There is a give and take with any choice for lights. If it's a small room then T5's will work great (low heat, high output, small square footage). If you need to light a large area MH/SV is the way to go (higher heat, higher output, large square footage). When I get my 4x4 hut up and running I'll have 1 or 2 600 watt air cooled SV. In my 2x4 hut I'm growing everything in now is running nothing but fluorescent lights (mix of 125 watt CFL, T5's and T12 or T8). Where I have 5 fluorescent lights running now (equals almost 1000 watts). I'll use one 600 watt SV to do the same job. Adding the second SV light will just be more lumens if I decide to do it. I have a large 6in inline fan pulling air out of the room. He will have all these things available to him at the shop.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Granted, but I'm only going to be at the shop twice a week. So if something goes wrong with the cooling, I just cost the store a few hundred dollars worth of neps. Yeah, I'm sure the employees can handle it if I'm not there.. but I want to avoid that scenario if at all possible.
    My goal is setting up a rewarding show case, with low maintenance, and low worries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohman, I'm SO jealous.
    I hope to have such amazing opportunities in the future!
    I'm applying to all the nurseries in the area as we speak, because I wanna work with plants, not stock junkfood. >

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by massmorels View Post
    Granted, but I'm only going to be at the shop twice a week. So if something goes wrong with the cooling, I just cost the store a few hundred dollars worth of neps. Yeah, I'm sure the employees can handle it if I'm not there.. but I want to avoid that scenario if at all possible.
    My goal is setting up a rewarding show case, with low maintenance, and low worries.
    If you're going with a "showcase", are you going to try to do a large planted tank? I'm sure you could do a pretty sweet one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have tanks available to me at the store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, Sounds good. Again feel free to ask if you have any questions. Here is a pic of my current setup.

Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my conditions, plants grow better under metal halide than T5. The plants are in an open environment, not a grow tent, so heat build up it not an issue. I believe that when used in a grow tent a ducted extraction system is used to directly pull heat away from the lamp. Fan failure is dealt with by using a temperature or airflow vane switch to kill the lamps. HID lamps, specifically metal halide and sodium lamps, are popular for hydroponics growing within the UK. T5 are typically used for seedlings and low growing plants, such as lettuce, in a hydroponics system as they do not have enough depth penetration for tall plants, unless mounted vertically. It would be interesting to see what your hydroponics store has a preference to.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast