Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Egypt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can certainly agree the some "progressive" laws are good.

What you are describing basically describes to a tee the problem with too much regulation. Companies simply pack up and move to another country with less regulation. Is regulation good, sometimes, but it can have undesired results as we are seeing today with the mass exodus of industry from our country. It is simply cheaper elsewhere due to taxes, red tape, fees, licensing, etc. There are other factors causing labor to move overseas as well. But over regulation does play a part.

The fact that China doesn't give a crap about it's people certainly doesn't help either. But I think they see a way to make a buck cheaply and further strenghten thier growing economic power at the expense of thier impoverished working class people.

PS: I do listen to Hannity on the way home from work on occasion. It sounded like he was calling for the US to go into Egypt and install a democratic government. When will we learn. Also, I must say I am glad to see that for the most part, the uprising has been mostly peaceful. Way to go Egypt! It's definately better than the alternative.
    Last edited by dashman; 01-31-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mothers company did not leave the US, only their most toxic operations were sent to China, it's her "old job" cos she retired half a decade ago or so. That particular job is toxic whether it is done here or done over there, the only reason it's not done here is because here is because companies are cheap and do not want to pay for the necessary safety precautions. They could do it here... In China they definitely don't care what happens to their workers - I mean even less than companies do here. What I would like to know from all the de-regulation supporters is what are some instances of industries that are currently regulated and could be de-regulated and have no ill come to the workers, environment or citizens affected by the products or waste from the plant? Those are my 3 biggest concerns as far as industry regulation goes. As far as Jobs leaving I don't suppose NAFTA has anything to do with it?

Hannity as in Hannity's Russia? OMG I haven't been able to stomach a whole episode of Hannity yet. I've made it all the way through Beck a number of times now but Hannity just causes me to wig within the first few minutes! LOL Hey, if you liked Geraldo he's got a show on FOX!

Wait now... what was this thread originally about? Oh yeah... Egypt! The only reason a "peaceful" uprising is possible is because for some reason the army that's in the streets seems to be on the side of the people. The last time I checked in with the news they were allowing them to pile up and ride around on the tanks, shaking hands with the protesters and so on. If the army were set against them (as I would have imagined they would have been ordered to be) there would likely be much bloodshed on both sides. But I am definitely happy to see the army seems to have the same agenda as the people and they haven't been mowing them down.
    Last edited by swords; 02-01-2011 at 04:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Egypt's military has a "wait and see" approach. They will approve who will lead the country so I don't think we have to worry about any Lebanon style problems occuring (coalitions with islamists who end up taking over)
    Or at least I hope not, that'll really screw things up then! The price of oil will skyrocket (lots of it goes through the Suez Canal) which would drive up prices for everything all over again and completely screw the world economy possibly triggering more Tunisian-style protests.
    Already Jordan is seeing some turmoil, will the Iranians get encouraged and try again? The Chinese sure are censoring this in their news...

We've been buying Egypt's "friendship" anyways, and we'll buy the new guys too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quogue View Post
    I believe Egypt's military has a "wait and see" approach. They will approve who will lead the country so I don't think we have to worry about any Lebanon style problems occuring (coalitions with islamists who end up taking over)
    Or at least I hope not, that'll really screw things up then! The price of oil will skyrocket (lots of it goes through the Suez Canal) which would drive up prices for everything all over again and completely screw the world economy possibly triggering more Tunisian-style protests.
    Already Jordan is seeing some turmoil, will the Iranians get encouraged and try again? The Chinese sure are censoring this in their news...

It's weird to think this, seeing as I am American, but I'm ready to accept the consequences of reality. I think it will prove better for us in the long run if w e are out of the area and the Egyptians learn to think for themselves. If the price of oil goes up? Well I think many of us can agree it has been long overdue for us to focus on other energy sources.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup 1.5 Billion a year to curry Mubarak's favor, just imagine what could be fixed here with that kinda money... Actually I'd rather not think about it! If America pulled it's tendrils out of all the nations it's meddling with our economic woes could be reduced considerably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the peaceful part appears to be over...

Of course Fox News now sez: "We can't let these people Egyptians their own government and decide what kind of government they want!"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Well, the peaceful part appears to be over...

Of course Fox News now sez: "We can't let these people Egyptians their own government and decide what kind of government they want!"
    And I've already heard someone in real life say the same thing. I wish Americans would stop thinking that or saying that!

If the Muslim Brotherhood gets elected by the free Egyptian people, than that is what they want. We have to stop pissing people off! We need to support the Egyptians. Whatever happens I pray to the god that I don't believe in that our government does not decide to do or allow any backhanded shady business when this is all said and done.

My heart goes out to the Egyptian people tonight. The ones that are fighting tooth and nail, stick and stone, in the streets of their capital - dying for their country.

Go Egyptians, Go!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    It's weird to think this, seeing as I am American, but I'm ready to accept the consequences of reality. I think it will prove better for us in the long run if w e are out of the area and the Egyptians learn to think for themselves. If the price of oil goes up? Well I think many of us can agree it has been long overdue for us to focus on other energy sources.
    I really don't think you would want to see gas at $5.00 A GAL.

Hotrod30

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast