Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Egypt

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Egypt

What's your take on this major uprising in Egypt?

I for one, find it really amazing. These are turning out to be pivotal times around the world. First Tunisia, and the separation of Southern Sudan, and now massive continuous protests in Egypt that are apparently more or less unopposed by the military, calling for President Mubarak immediate resignation.

This puts us as a nation in one of the most difficult international situations in recent times.

We have, for decades, supported Mubarak's totalitarian and corrupt regime in Egypt. This support has lead to our being able to use the Suez Canal in military operations and the peace treaty with Israel that has yet to be broken.

But on the flipside, it has more or less disgraced the will of the Egyptian people. We say that we are proponents of Democracy and Freedom all across the globe, yet here are the Egyptian people rising up in opposition, demanding freedom and Democracy, and look at how light-footed our government is.

The hypocrisy that we as a nation have exerted in the middle east is just phenomenal.

We heavy-handedly invade Iraq to liberate them and give them freedom - without their people uprising to the extent that Egypt is now, and now when Egypt rises up and shows their discontent, where are we to over-throw their corrupt, middle-eastern government?

Yet the tear gas that is being fired into these Democracy seekers is 100% made in:

The U.S.A.

What kind of country are we that only makes cars, weapons, poison gas, and drugs?

What's your two cents on this issue?
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2 cents is that this is just politics as usual...barely noteworthy.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yemen is starting to have an uprising too
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    Yemen is starting to have an uprising too
    Really I hadn't heard that! I'll look it up.

I think these are exciting times. I feel a little bad though, I know the people of these countries are probably going to resent us Americans if they don't already. I wish I could let them know that not all Americans (hopefully very few) actually support the oppression their people.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, we support whomever will allow us to have economic influence. A democracy is desirable over a dictatorship, but if the dicstator is friendly to us, we can work with it. We didn't liberate Iraq. We got rid of someone who got in our way.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Basically, we support whomever will allow us to have economic influence. A democracy is desirable over a dictatorship, but if the dicstator is friendly to us, we can work with it. We didn't liberate Iraq. We got rid of someone who got in our way.
    Right, that is what essentially happened, but what were we the people told?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The people are lied to, nothing new here. What is new is that so many are now awakening to what is happening.

If you want to understand why our "enemies" hate us all you need to do is look at history. Western civilization has overthrown countries like Iran on multiple occasions. Iran is our enemy because the people of Iran refuse to accept the puppet regimes that we have put in place that will allow foreign companies to come in and steal all of thier natural resources for profit, with a little kick back to the ruling elite of course. We have enemies because we are the agressors. Only rarely does it escalate into violence. Most of our agression is done by men in suits.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! In WW2 we were told that the reason why we dropped the bombs was to save American lives. Okay..... but what about the Japanese and the radiation? I guess that the Japenese aren't people..... We're told what is expedient.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast