What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which one do I trust!?

Okay, so, I picked up a barometer from HD today, and it's giving me vastly different readings than my cheapo Petco humidity meter.
It's an Acu-Rite indoor barometer.
It's saying that my LL terrarium humidity is 90-92%, while my petco one says 55%.
It also says that my indoor humidity is 60-62%. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and it's been rainy off and on today, but would that sort of indoor humidity make sense? The "comfort monitor" display on it says "your humidity is high, dear lord!".
I got it to see what my stats are in my highland "terrarium" (foil coated rubbermaid bucket XD), but if it's not going to give me the right stats, it's kinda useless to me. :(

WHO CAN I TRUST!?!! D:

Well, 60% seems about right if it is raining outside, so I'm willing to bet the petco one is not working right.

tough call. my acu-rite are messed up. I have one that claims the humidity is 16% all the time. Move them all to the same room. then heat up a moist hand towel in the microwave. warm to the touch and not too much more and just damp. Place it onto the units in question. This should give you a way to simulate 90-95% humidity. Then note the difference in the units. + - however much to calibrate. ideal would be to find a wet dry bulb hygrometer. ........

Yeah, they don't seem to be the most reliable (the Petco ones) in the first place.
I'm going to put it in my HL tub and we'll see what kind of readings I get.

I use all Acurite stuff, and they seem to be fairly accurate. The Petco ones, however, don't. I thought about getting one or two, so I went in and checked them out only to find each one was different than the next, even though they were all hanging on the same hook and all in the same packaging. Presumably, they were all packaged under the same conditions as well. The range between the highest and lowest was like 15%. I stayed away. >.>

And that's hygrometer, not barometer. ^.~

I have been using reptile thermo/hygrometers from ZOO-MED for years, they seem to be accurate.
I think they were around $15.00 retail.
They are just a well made, good steel spring driven analog.

@reaper: haha, I tried asking the people at home depot for a hygrometer, and the guy was all, "you mean like a barometer?" so I just said "sure" and just took what they gave me. Because "something to measure humidity" didn't ring any bells with the dudes either. So I just assumed I had a barometer XD

I would go with the 60+%. That's about what my terrarium is.

WHO CAN I TRUST!?!! D:

Put the device(s) in saturated air conditions of 100% rH, wait for 60 minutes and watch the hygrometer reading.

You can achieve saturated air condition by wrapping a moist to wet towel completely around the hygrometer.

You can trust that one, that reaches a reading of 95% ... 100% after that procedure.
(Read immediately after unwrapping the towel as the reading will fall quickly.)

Back