What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first flowers EVER! (plus some other goodies.)

So, three of my D. capensis are blooming and it looks like the first flower is gonna open up any day now. Here's some pics.

DSCN4856.jpg

DSCN4861.jpg

Also as some of you have heard, my Neps are both inflating new pitchers, here they are.

DSCN4863.jpg

N. 'Judith Finn'

DSCN4864.jpg

DSCN4865.jpg

DSCN4866.jpg

Here's N. 'Judith Finn' next to my N. ventricosa.

DSCN4874.jpg

There's another pitcher forming on the far side, but it's much smaller than the one pictured.

And just for the heck of it here's my S. purpurea, sorry about the glare.

DSCN4857.jpg

DSCN4858.jpg

As always, comments/criticism welcome!

Hey, nice plants. I wish I could get a nicely formed D. capensis stalk like that, but aphids keep sucking the plant dry and making the stalk look all goofy.

That S. purpurea, I assume, is fresh out of a cube? Mine looked like that when I first bout it, too. But within a few weeks, I had this:
DSC00187.JPG

Love those neps, too!

Yeah, fresh out of the cube, it was supposed to be dormant, but I guess it was being kept too warm, so I threw it under the lights, I'm waiting for it to start throwing more pitchers...

Nice! They seem to be hardy plants. By "weeks" above, I meant months. But still, in very little time these things can go from scrawny green pitchers to fat red and gold pitchers. sweet!

Glad to her that!

theFury- nice purp. but i believe the purps that come from death cubes are S. purpurea ssp venosa. note the peach fuzz all over the "lid". purp ssp purp is bald in that area.

CMM- congrats on the flower! i remember when i got my first cape flowers.... then i regretted it haha. be ready for a mass amount of seed!

Alex

Ahh man, nothing like watching your first capensis flower stalk open up!

theFury- nice purp. but i believe the purps that come from death cubes are S. purpurea ssp venosa. note the peach fuzz all over the "lid". purp ssp purp is bald in that area.

Thanks for that info. I know back when it first started coloring up, I posted on the sarr forum and we concluded that it was in fact ssp. purpurea. But the fuzz settles it! I'll change the plant label.

You know what was a bigger joy to me than watching my first D. capensis flower? Harvesting and planting the first batch of seeds!! :banana2:

Congrats on the flower!

Cool i remember my first Flower now i am haveing three to four plants flowering onece you hit that mark on when you get them growing good then thell thrive! Cool flowers!

First flower opened this morning!

congrats on the flowers...i'd get rid of them before they set seed---unless you want your entire area to be contaminated with capensis---and even then, they seem to pop out of NOWHERE!

That's wierd i want mine to spread but none have grown and it has been a month since my capensis has flowered but no seeds have sprouted?

Back