User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best non-insect food for CPs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the best non-insect food for CPs?

Hi folks. It's winter and I've run out of fruitfly culture to feed my CPs. It's been a month and a half since I've last fed them. What do you think is the best kind of non-insect food for CPs? So far I've read people using milkpowder, liquid fertiliser, bloodworms, and fish pellets. I have Heliamphora minor, a VFT, Nepenthes ampullaria, Nepenthes bicalcarata, and Drosera capensis.

Also, how do I feed a VFT in this manner? Is it even possible?

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See my thread here http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=125692. Pet stores sell freeze dried freshwater shrimp. I have been using this so far and it works great.
    -Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I regularly foliar and root feed my Heliamphora, Nepenthes and Cephalotus with fertiliser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
    See my thread here http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=125692. Pet stores sell freeze dried freshwater shrimp. I have been using this so far and it works great.
    -Phil
    I have freeze-dried bloodworms, does that work too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but freeze-dried bloodworms seem to work well as CP food, but they are insect larva, so it wouldn't meet the terms of your subject. "...non-insect food for CPs".

I started feeding many of my CP with freeze-dried bloodworms and freeze-dried tubifex worms (non-insect), both crushed to a powder. Now I use an electric insect zapper during the Summer to collect fresh insects, then I dry them and grind them to a powder in a dedicated electric coffee grinder, then store the powder in recycled plastic medicine bottles to use whenever I need some. I use other plastic medicine bottles, with a few small holes drilled in their lids as applicators to sprinkle the powdered insects onto the CP leaves for feeding.

For non-insect feeding, I've used Peters 20-20-20 soluble fertilizer, with trace minerals, diluted to a solution of about 14-18 ppm. At this dilution I haven't seen any adverse effects even when used every two or three days. This fertilizer is available at may different stores that carry nursery supplies, here in the USA.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Yes, but freeze-dried bloodworms seem to work well as CP food, but they are insect larva, so it wouldn't meet the terms of your subject. "...non-insect food for CPs".
    Oh, I meant live and adult insects of course. Do you have any VFTs? If so, do you feed them with the powder you've described? I guess I could just try some pulverised bloodworms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a mix of half freeze dried blood worms and half Betta fish food pellets, pulverized with a mortar and pestle. I cut the suff with an equal quantity of water and feed it to my plants with a medicine dropper. I picked that method up from CPlantaholic- it leads to less mess on the soil!

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emre, word of warning on freeze dried bloodworms. Some people have a severe allergic reaction if the dust is inhaled... that is why I no longer use them. Almost took me out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast