Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CP Soil needed - Any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CP Soil needed - Any ideas?

I have been looking for CP soil for quite sometime now...
    - I haven't been able to find any local suppliers
    - Online places offer it but shipping either doubles or triples the final price
    - I don't know what materials to get locally (that are safe to use with CP's) to create my own soil mixture

I need to have two different kinds of soil. One that is good with D. muscipula, and another that works for nepenthes species. Any ideas, suggestions, general advice?

Note: The cheaper the better, as I am putting myself through college.

Thanks in advance!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting out you really only need 3 basic ingredients.. pure peat, perlite, and Long Fibered (non-Canadian) Sphagnum moss. All 3 of these things can be found at almost any local nursery.

For neps just use 50:50 perlite and LFS, and for everything else 50:50 peat and perlite works fine.

If you can't find these locally, the supplies are a dime a dozen online. Oh, and avoid miracle grow products.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should I rinse all of these ingredients before using them? Also, do I just shred the sphagnum moss and mix it evenly with the peat or do I need to layer the ingredients in a certain way?
    Thanks for the response!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...also be certain that when purchasing your bags of media, you don't buy any that say "Enriched with [insert additive/fertilizer name here]!" Certainly I've seen Miracle-Gro brand bags of peat moss and perlite, and both of those are "enriched" with wonderful things that will kill your cps...

For general use with cps, I wouldn't think that rinsing would be necessary, though if you're using distilled water rinsing certainly couldn't hurt anything per se...

What type of cps are you growing? I'm assuming that these are plants and not seeds, yes?

Generally speaking, a 50/50 mixture of peat/perlite or LFS/perlite is a good bet for Dionaea. For Nepenthes, I used to use 40:40:20 orchid barkerliteeat but I've been slowly switching over to 50:50 LFSrchid bark. I've found that both seem to work well, but after reading up on these forums, I've decided that the lower speed at which LFS breaks down may be preferable to peat moss...

The ingredients should be mixed thoroughly, not layered...

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just peat moss and perlite. Also you do not need to rinse it no you mix them all together except the sphagnum just put that on top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except when I'm using sand, I never rinse my substrate. You can rinse it if you want to, but in my experience it isn't necessary.

For nepenthes, it helps if you dip the LFS in some distilled water, get it good and wet, and then squeeze out the excess water. Then you can just dump it in a pot or a baggy and add the approximate amount of perlite (or in my case, I use orchid bark--either way this extra ingredient is to help with drainage). You can go with a 50:50 mixture like mass said, but I generally use more LFS and less bark. There is no set formula for soil, so as long as you stick to the general guidelines, you should be fine. Stir it until the ingredients seem pretty evenly mixed, and then you're good to go. You can put a layer of live sphagnum at the top if you want to, but that isn't really necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am repotting my N. ventricosa into a bigger pot. (By the way, when I repot, do I just place the soil and plant directly in a bigger pot ful of soil, or should I rough up the bottom and loosen the roots a little first?)
    I wanted to try growing some VFT's from seed.
    Thanks for the replies, never dealt with this stuff before and am clueless!!!!
    Any and all details anyone can give on repotting would be great!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the LFS, wear something over your face like a Dr's mask or pull your T-shirt up over your nose when shredding it. The air born fibers can be really bad for you when inhaled..
    But yeah, just shred it as finely as possible.. soak and rinse, then squeeze it out. Add your perlite, and your all set for your nepenthes.
    Yes you can go with other ingredients like orchid bark, charcoal, etc.. but I thought we were talking about the basics here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast