What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one whose system chugs on this forum?

• Thread starter nightsky
  • Start date

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
For some reason, only on this forum, both my desktop and laptop turn into slideshows. Both are running xp also. This happens on the front page and in individual threads, whether there are pictures or just text with no pictures. I use firefox. But I get this on no other website I go to. I notice that my cpu usage spikes on both systems. It does ok until I scroll, then it lags horribly and my cpu usage spikes. Yet I can go to even graphic heavy sites (flikr, youtube, etc) and don't get this. Any ideas? Are there cpu intensive scripts running or something?

No problems here, either on XP or Vista.

The only time I get slow performance on this site is when viewing on my iPhone. But all the forum graphics and applets (live chat, etc.) are a lot for a cell phone to process.

What specs does your computer have? CPU? RAM? What sort of Firefox add-ons do you have? I would suspect some other process on your computer is playing dirty with the TF website.

Install noscript addon for firefox. Restart firefox, allow terraforums.com when message pops up on the bottom and see if this helps.

I ran over to the wife's lap top and cruised through the forum and saw no indications of anything... She has no blockers of any kind running... Just firefox as it comes out of the box. I'm on Win7 and don't notice anything either (also with no adblockers, scriptblockers or anything...).
Andrew

I'm having DSL problems* and the funny thing is part of the time only TF works but no other websites ! LOL

*The last two days I haven't been dropped - so maybe they fixed whatever was wrong.

Hmm, so strange. Typed up first message from desktop and switched to laptop for this one. Both definitely slide shows. I'll try the suggestions tomorrow and see if they help.

Do you have a good anti virus?
I don't get any lag with firefox on W7.
I do have a speedy internet connection though.

Try a different browser, ive also had performance issues with firefox on sites with scripts since they put scripts in a different process (plugin-container.exe)
Those sites usually go lightning fast when i open them in opera.

^^ +1 for Chrome! I'm using Chrome on OSX.

Interestingly, I also sometimes have Terra bog down Firefox (ie: ramp up or max-out processor usage). In fact, just before I opened this thread, I had to kill the tab Terra was on and open a new one (I was attempting to exit eou's religious request thread). Typically, killing the tab or shutting off FF fixes the issue - so I'm guessing the problem is on my end...

I migrated from Firefox to Google Chrome (Chromium on Linux), which I find faster.

I use Firefox on Linux, I noticed that chromium eats more processor time than firefox. I have found that a combination of Firefox and noscript is the best solution for many overloaded sites. Just yesterday I was browsing TF on a netbook with Ubuntu netbook remix and bunch of windows with multiple tabs open, and had no problems :)

I'm using firefox on windows 7, never had a problem with TF. Also I usually have 6+ tabs open.

I use Firefox on Linux, I noticed that chromium eats more processor time than firefox. I have found that a combination of Firefox and noscript is the best solution for many overloaded sites. Just yesterday I was browsing TF on a netbook with Ubuntu netbook remix and bunch of windows with multiple tabs open, and had no problems :)
I've never looked at processor usage on Ubuntu while running browsers. My wife has an old EeePC, running Ubuntu Netbook and Firefox and she was always commenting on how slow the internet was and how it wouldn't work with here favourite Facebook games, so I installed Chromium and asked her to try it for a few days. She is now happy with the speed and all her Facebook games work... so I'm happy :-D

Ok, after much testing of stuff, it's apparently Firefox itself. Installed and ran noscript FF addon and it did no good despite having it block darn near everything. I've always used adblock and it made no diff whether on or off. This site just ran like crap no matter what, whether using just one window or one window with multiple tabs, etc. MSE detected no problems. Ad aware found nothing. Hijack this, nothing. So my computer seems fine (2 gigs ram, win x (with recent hd wipes and reinstalls), laptop similar).

So, I tried out Chrome. Yep..runs just fine on this site now. What's strange is it was only this specific site. No other site gave FF problems, but Chrome is very quick with no hangups whatsoever.

Back