Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plant Names

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plant Names

For correcting plant names I use an internal/mental hierarchy, which is basically; spelling, capitalization, abbreviations, punctuation, italics, and author (authority) abbreviation + (date) year [in forums I generally overlook italics, and authority/date].

Cultivars and hybrids are a little trickier, most often I find non-cultivars enclosed in single quotes (reserved for registered cultivars), or cultivars without genus (or genus abbreviation), or with double quotes, no punctuation, or incorrectly capitalized.

Most nomenclature issues I see with hybrids, involve missing the genus name or genus abbreviation, using an upper case "X" instead of a lower case "x", since the upper case "X" is reserved for use with multigeneric or intergeneric hybrids.

Fortunately a very rare error seen with hybrid formula, is where the formula is written, similar to this: Sarracenia flava x rubra x purpurea, leaving out the information necessary to understanding which parent or parents are which.

Standard form has been to list the maternal parent, first and the paternal parent, second. ICBN says that the parents can alternately be identified by male and female symbols, such as Pinguicula agnata x Pinguicula moctezumae .

Either way, if more than two parents are listed in a hybrid formula, algebraic-type formula symbols are used to group the parents, appropriately.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dexenthes,
    Discussion is good. Plants and everything about them, including the names we call them by are dynamic. A good reason to be particular about using proper form when writing them.

In the first sentence of this thread the plant is named as, Nepenthes peltata. Nomenclature says that whenever the genus being discussed changes in the text, the entire name must be spelled out, first, before the genus is then abbreviated. As you say the subforum is primarily for the Nepenthes genus, but even in that same first sentence another genus is mentioned.

The fact that the topic of discussion in this thread (which is within the Nepenthes subforum) is explicitly lableled, "N. peltata question" would, to me, make any reference to "peltata" within said thread so obviously in reference to Nepenthes peltata that correcting the nomenclature by adding an "N" in front of the word seems absurdly and unnecessarily nit-picky.

Also, the hypocritical nature of your editing, Joseph, is entirely too blatant. You edit thez's post by saying, "N. peltata and N. hamiguitanensis, not peltata and hamiguitanensis", yet then go on to explain that there are other N. peltata it could be referring to, such as Nymphoides peltata, your very first example.

This in no way clarified the nomenclature for anyone reading this thread.

If you are going to incessantly correct nomenclature in every post, actually do it.
    Thank you, I am.

The rules do not require that all plant names be spelled out completely in all circumstances.

You may be interested to read about my reasoning, here.

I am not trying to force us all to adhere to any scientific standards of nomenclature. Just a minimum of conformity so no matter how we use the "search feature" or which language is our native language, that we are all using the same names for the same plants. So called, scientific plant names are the way they are so that everyone, no matter where they are, or what language they speak, we can all understand what plants we are discussing.

Do you realize that these threads on terraforums are not just searchable with the forum's own search tools, but they are cataloged on google and other internet search engines. Searching for names that are misspelled, incomplete, or plants being called by affectionate "nicknames" are difficult for search engines to include intelligently for someone looking for information on a particular plant.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    You may be interested to read about my reasoning, here.
    Your link doesn't work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the link didn't work, how then did you post in the thread the link took you too?
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cause you moved it with your mod-magiks since she originally posted that in her thread where your response was put originally too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, really, I did not move thez_yo's post into this thread. I only moved my own post that answered dexenthes' rant. Since I hadn't intended to leave it in thez_yo's thread, but move it here. I had already begun creating it, so had to plop it down before I could then move it to where I wanted it, here.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the link didn't work, how then did you post in the thread the link took you too?
    I hit reply to you...maybe the forum moved me here because I wanted to follow you and tell you that I couldn't find you?

Quote Originally Posted by i<3carnivores View Post
    Cause you moved it with your mod-magiks since she originally posted that in her thread where your response was put originally too?
    I agree with i<3carnivores. Definitely internet magic.

No, really, I did not move thez_yo's post into this thread. I only moved my own post that answered dexenthes' rant. Since I hadn't intended to leave it in thez_yo's thread, but move it here. I had already begun creating it, so had to plop it down before I could then move it to where I wanted it, here.
    It's because we're meant to be friends

Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    And very true, I am a physicist so this sort of thing is bound to happen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast