-Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post
    @ Fury:

Oh, what happened to the beautiful plants I sent you!?! That U. sandersonii sheet was so nice...

Well, at least the U. longifolia is doing well!
    Yeah, about that...

So the D. capensis was decimated by an aphid infestation. A few of them must have came over with the plant and multiplied like... well, aphids. I lost one of the plants before I could get rid of the infestation. So, I took some root cuttings and repotted the surviving plant. The plant was none too happy about the root cuttings, but it has since gotten over it. It's regrowing, although it looks like the growth is smaller (shorter leaves; smaller plant diameter) than it was when I got it. That plant will be fine; it's just been through hell and now has to recover. On the (very) bright side, I now have a dozen quickly growing plantlets that spawned off of the root cuttings. Its lineage will carry on!!

That D. aliciae - I'm still baffled by what happened. Most of them died completely, and after repotting them into fresh media and letting them dry out more often, I THINK I see some new growth starting to pop out of the blackened crowns. They currently look way worse than they did in the picture I posted... but I haven't lost hope yet.

Same goes for the D. venusta. I'm not sure what happened there.

Really I'm beginning to suspect the sand I was using in my soil. Perhaps I didn't rinse it well enough, but those plants that are more sensitive to minerals in the soil (especially D. adelae, which I killed several of) seemed to slowly decline and die. After repotting into a mix made with aquarium sand, the damage seems to have stopped. Hmmmm.

The U. sandersonii was indeed very nice. I think it wasn't getting enough water. Same with the U. longifolia. I've since put them in water that goes between half and two-thirds of the way up the pot. The U. longifolia seems especially thankful; I expect to see the U. sandersonii turn around, too. The D. spatulata growing in the U. sandersonii look happier; they're dewy and are sprouting new growth. One is even producing a flower stalk.

Can Utrics be overcrowded in a pot? Will leaves turn brown and die as competition ensues below the soil? That might be a possibility...

BUT, the Pings you sent me are THRIVING. They are the two happiest plants in my collection (the P. "Sethos" especially). The P. esseriana seem to be getting eaten by tiny little creepy crawlies. I'm going to re-pot and treat with neem soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have a ton of pics here, but I was too sad to take pics of my entiredead collection. haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess ill have to post some pics here too :P
    This is the stuff thats doing less then perfect atm:

Nepenthes Ventrata; most of the plant is doing fine, but since i got an extra light this side has become this sickly yellow, its still growing though.

H. Heterodoxa x Minor; it has never done well for me but were it is now it has stopped dying.

Nepenthes Jacquelineae; it still grows but isnt rlly pretty and wont pitcher either, i think it wants more humidity.

Nepenthes Glabrata; this one is doing the worst of all my neps, hardly grows and one of the stems died (got that one as unrooted cutting), i think it doesnt like the soil its in, i plan to put it in something airy soon.

One of my Rajah's; i put this one outside in the summer with no protection, it did not like that much, the leaves it had got red/brown spots and the growtip died.
    After that it made 2 new growtips and they took about 7 months to get this size.
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you guys are so noobish at killing plants...

but yeah, I found some pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't bring myself to post this latest pic in my original thread ( http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=125897 ) for reasons of, well, shame, so I'm glad that this thread was here...

Quick summary: a bad pathogen made its way into one of my two Nepenthes ramispina seedlings, which I was hoping would pick up with the lengthening daylight... Realizing that it wasn't turning around, I tried to do a last-ditch cutting last Wednesday in hopes of rooting it.

On first cut, I found that the stem was brown and mushy. Bad. Very bad.

I then made a cut an additional leaf node away from the root system. Also brown-stemmed.

I kept cutting until I stopped seeing brown stem. I dipped what was left in rooting hormone w. fungicide, dropped in microwaved media, spritzed it with sulfur fungicide, bagged it and placed it under lights.

This is three days later.

Not good.

Not good.

At the very least, I figure it's palliative care in its final days, to at least give it conditions that I should have given it here at home from the start...

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Last year in the middle of summer, I had my cooler fail in my highland greenhouse... When I went in the thermometer read 139.9 which is as high as it could go. I was running the plants over to the other greenhouse and running RO water through them and the water coming out the bottom was burning my hand... would be interesting to know how hot it actually was... Since then, I have have temp/humidity probes in both greenhouses that will send me an email on my phone if something gets out or range according to my settings.. anyway, here is the horror I walked into (this is a few hours after I got it back up and running, some things continued to decline, like the Drosera schizandra which was all gone the next am) I'm surprised some of these have managed to grow back, and quite well actually.. still sucks to be reduced to new basals when the plants were so nice...
    Go to your plants and tell them how much you love them, you never know when tomorrow will be too late.
    Andrew

Not sure if it's "allowed" in this thread but here are some pics of these plants just 2 or 3 weeks prior... makes me more sad lol

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have numerous additions to make to this thread.. but I'm still in denial.