Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Wall of Shame

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've killed my share of pings and last year lost an entire mini bog of Sarracenia. Come to find out the paint on the inside of the pot basically poisoned my plants.

Warren, that is some scary stuff. It makes me want to dig up all of my Sarracenia and check the roots.

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geeze Andrew that is horrible...

I lost a couple neps this past season, and some are barely hanging on for dear life. Looking at what your damage looks like on your neps, it confirms a suspicion I had that I had let them get to hot and dry last summer.

I'll have to take some pics later and add them to the pile of shame in this thread.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too shameful... Just a dead fly trap and a really puny looking Pinguicula moctezumae (still going strong though, liz!)

Aphids on my D. capensis.

A puny flytrap and the carcass of a D. capensis

And a Dionea Death camp -

Basically if it's not growing in my terrarium, it's on my windowsill of shame.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, took some pics today of my shameful bunch. Most of these plants were doing fine this time last year, but I had a hard time keeping temps down and humidity up last summer. To complicate things, in spring last year I removed my top dressings of live sphagnum and moved my fan. That was enough to really do some damage.

nepenthes muluensis x lowii

nepenthes lowii. teeny tiny, and hasn't budged in almost a year. I'm probably giving up on this one.

nepenthes jamban:

nepenthes jacquelinae

nepenthes izumiae x x trusmadiensis. just now the growth point is showing promise.

nepenthes hamata. Saddest of all. This plant did fine for quite a few months after getting it and pitchered well, but it really got hit hard over the summer. I'm holding out hope that it will pull through. This is actually the best it has looked in a while, sadly.

nepenthes bongso. It has looked like this for 4 years. It hasn't put on size, doesn't pitcher, and the leaves have streaks of white in them, and alway have. I don't know what the problem is.

Heliamphora pulchella. surprisingly, most of my heliamphora did well through the summer, but not this one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least for the hamata and Heliamphora, I think you're having the same problem as I was... you should try changing out *all* of those plants' potting soil for lfs : perlite and see if it makes a difference. People tell me I'm doing it too dry, but your plants look even drier

My hamata went from this:

to this:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just the top that is dry. It's quite moist underneath, they get a daily watering. I've been tracking it closely. Putting it into this new mix is actually when it started putting out new green growth. fingers crossed. The heli is in 1 part lfs 1 part perlite, the bark is just top dressing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
    It's just the top that is dry. It's quite moist underneath, they get a daily watering. I've been tracking it closely. Putting it into this new mix is actually when it started putting out new green growth. fingers crossed. The heli is in 1 part lfs 1 part perlite, the bark is just top dressing.
    Oh I see The Nep hamata would still benefit from having lfs on top because its ability to make pitchers is directly related to how much lfs is on top of the mix. I used to have some lfs in my mix before going to lfs : perlite, but it clearly wasn't enough because I got no pitchers, but now I get one on every leaf (and honestly the leaves look happier now too - not rolled down like they were before ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever get this choking green surface-slime? Not good.....

Near dead N. ventricosa.

Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast