What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think we have all experienced these sorts of unseemly looking plants. I'll bet even Fischermans & Avery have had a few! I know I have. They're just not as photogenic!

... Well, I have some capensis on windowsills due to lack of space, but in the winter there is little direct light... and I tend to forget to water them... maybe for weeks at a time... :blush:

p1000631t.jpg

(I have just watered them now... not sure if they can be salvaged, but the reason they are there is that I did a 'rescue' thinking I had gotten about 6-8 plants for the price of 1, LOL JK I got 25 :0o: )

And this was a... not-so-inflated than it should be after my messy unpotting:

p1000632u.jpg

And plants that I have not seen since September and I will probably not see untill next easter (watered via and irrigation pipes) I have shown these before, but hey... it is a wall of shame, no?

img0784x.jpg

and my absolute favourite, a once healthy Pinguicula:

img0783pn.jpg

I only have my trusty digital camera for photos... as Jim said, my fails are just much less photogenic!

I could probably find before and after pics, but this is a wall of shame! It just wouldn't do! :nono: ;)

LOL! That looks like planifolia and my lutea and my....

LOL! That looks like planifolia and my lutea and my....

Haha glad it's not just me then! I think it is (was) a Pinguicula 'Tina'... although, I don't think a nicely crisped P. lutea/P. planifolia is as shameful as a deep-fried Mexican Ping... :-))

To be honest, i find the spectacular fails of mine quite amusing, but then again, I do have a weird sense of humour, and as a begginer, I don't have any plants that are worth more than £10. S'all a learning curve, really!

(The backstory of it is that I read on the ICPS site that some mexican pings (like P. moranensis can stand being in a temperate bog during the winter in Washington state... I figured that since that was a zone 8, and where the crisped ping was, was what I figured to be a zone 9 in France, so the zone difference would mean I could get away with them just being in a pot... I wasn't quite expecting it to snow!(although it does happen every few years). D'OH!)

Yes always check your plants closely for pests. Just because you don't see 'em at first doesn't mean you ain't got 'em.

Root Mealybug infestation:
P2280040.jpg

EEEEKKKK that sends chills down me spine

Woahhh - how would you rid the plants of the mealybugs, NaN? There seem to be quite a few :0o:

@ Fury:

Oh, what happened to the beautiful plants I sent you!?! That U. sandersonii sheet was so nice...

Well, at least the U. longifolia is doing well!

Woahhh - how would you rid the plants of the mealybugs, NaN? There seem to be quite a few :0o:

I pressured cleaned off what I could with a water jet from the garden hose. Then the plants were rinsed off with RO water and divided and repotted. The Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer for soil and turf recommends for soil insects a concentration 6 times stronger than the normal spray dilution which I drenched the soil in the pots several times over a few months. No harm to the plants at this concentration.

So far no recurrence but you never know.

Good god, Warren! I would have fainted if I saw that on any of my plants. :eek:

Wind Damage:

P5210013.jpg

P5210010.jpg

Unknown pest damage... It went away after a month.

1002.jpg

1004.jpg

1005.jpg

Best of luck to all with your troublesome, not-so-good-looking, pest filled plants!!! :usa2:

Here's a good one. Clint gave this N. Mikeii away several years ago, and it was shipped to me in Ohio during the winter. It apparently didn't handle the cold very well...
attachment.php

Hmm...It's not lupus!

@ Fury:

Oh, what happened to the beautiful plants I sent you!?! That U. sandersonii sheet was so nice...

Well, at least the U. longifolia is doing well!

Yeah, about that...

So the D. capensis was decimated by an aphid infestation. A few of them must have came over with the plant and multiplied like... well, aphids. I lost one of the plants before I could get rid of the infestation. So, I took some root cuttings and repotted the surviving plant. The plant was none too happy about the root cuttings, but it has since gotten over it. It's regrowing, although it looks like the growth is smaller (shorter leaves; smaller plant diameter) than it was when I got it. That plant will be fine; it's just been through hell and now has to recover. On the (very) bright side, I now have a dozen quickly growing plantlets that spawned off of the root cuttings. Its lineage will carry on!!

That D. aliciae - I'm still baffled by what happened. Most of them died completely, and after repotting them into fresh media and letting them dry out more often, I THINK I see some new growth starting to pop out of the blackened crowns. They currently look way worse than they did in the picture I posted... but I haven't lost hope yet.

Same goes for the D. venusta. I'm not sure what happened there.

Really I'm beginning to suspect the sand I was using in my soil. Perhaps I didn't rinse it well enough, but those plants that are more sensitive to minerals in the soil (especially D. adelae, which I killed several of) seemed to slowly decline and die. After repotting into a mix made with aquarium sand, the damage seems to have stopped. Hmmmm.

The U. sandersonii was indeed very nice. I think it wasn't getting enough water. Same with the U. longifolia. I've since put them in water that goes between half and two-thirds of the way up the pot. The U. longifolia seems especially thankful; I expect to see the U. sandersonii turn around, too. The D. spatulata growing in the U. sandersonii look happier; they're dewy and are sprouting new growth. One is even producing a flower stalk.

Can Utrics be overcrowded in a pot? Will leaves turn brown and die as competition ensues below the soil? That might be a possibility...

BUT, the Pings you sent me are THRIVING. They are the two happiest plants in my collection (the P. "Sethos" especially). The P. esseriana seem to be getting eaten by tiny little creepy crawlies. I'm going to re-pot and treat with neem soon.

I would have a ton of pics here, but I was too sad to take pics of my entiredead collection. :( haha

Guess ill have to post some pics here too :p
This is the stuff thats doing less then perfect atm:

Nepenthes Ventrata; most of the plant is doing fine, but since i got an extra light this side has become this sickly yellow, its still growing though.

H. Heterodoxa x Minor; it has never done well for me but were it is now it has stopped dying.

Nepenthes Jacquelineae; it still grows but isnt rlly pretty and wont pitcher either, i think it wants more humidity.

Nepenthes Glabrata; this one is doing the worst of all my neps, hardly grows and one of the stems died (got that one as unrooted cutting), i think it doesnt like the soil its in, i plan to put it in something airy soon.

One of my Rajah's; i put this one outside in the summer with no protection, it did not like that much, the leaves it had got red/brown spots and the growtip died.
After that it made 2 new growtips and they took about 7 months to get this size.

you guys are so noobish at killing plants...

but yeah, I found some pics. :p

066.JPG

067.JPG

068.JPG

069.JPG

070.JPG

I couldn't bring myself to post this latest pic in my original thread ( http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125897 ) for reasons of, well, shame, so I'm glad that this thread was here...

Quick summary: a bad pathogen made its way into one of my two Nepenthes ramispina seedlings, which I was hoping would pick up with the lengthening daylight... Realizing that it wasn't turning around, I tried to do a last-ditch cutting last Wednesday in hopes of rooting it.

On first cut, I found that the stem was brown and mushy. Bad. Very bad.

I then made a cut an additional leaf node away from the root system. Also brown-stemmed.

I kept cutting until I stopped seeing brown stem. I dipped what was left in rooting hormone w. fungicide, dropped in microwaved media, spritzed it with sulfur fungicide, bagged it and placed it under lights.

This is three days later.

homeramispina09.jpg

Not good.

Not good.

At the very least, I figure it's palliative care in its final days, to at least give it conditions that I should have given it here at home from the start... :(

Last year in the middle of summer, I had my cooler fail in my highland greenhouse... When I went in the thermometer read 139.9 which is as high as it could go. I was running the plants over to the other greenhouse and running RO water through them and the water coming out the bottom was burning my hand... would be interesting to know how hot it actually was... Since then, I have have temp/humidity probes in both greenhouses that will send me an email on my phone if something gets out or range according to my settings.. anyway, here is the horror I walked into (this is a few hours after I got it back up and running, some things continued to decline, like the Drosera schizandra which was all gone the next am) I'm surprised some of these have managed to grow back, and quite well actually.. still sucks to be reduced to new basals when the plants were so nice...
Go to your plants and tell them how much you love them, you never know when tomorrow will be too late.
Andrew

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1199.JPG

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1211.JPG

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

Not sure if it's "allowed" in this thread :p but here are some pics of these plants just 2 or 3 weeks prior... :down: makes me more sad lol

IMG_1169.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

I have numerous additions to make to this thread.. but I'm still in denial.

Back