What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've killed my share of pings and last year lost an entire mini bog of Sarracenia. Come to find out the paint on the inside of the pot basically poisoned my plants.

Warren, that is some scary stuff. It makes me want to dig up all of my Sarracenia and check the roots.

Phil

Geeze Andrew that is horrible...

I lost a couple neps this past season, and some are barely hanging on for dear life. Looking at what your damage looks like on your neps, it confirms a suspicion I had that I had let them get to hot and dry last summer.

I'll have to take some pics later and add them to the pile of shame in this thread.

Not too shameful... Just a dead fly trap and a really puny looking Pinguicula moctezumae (still going strong though, liz!)

DSCN5866.jpg

Aphids on my D. capensis. :(

DSCN5864.jpg

A puny flytrap and the carcass of a D. capensis

DSCN5865.jpg

And a Dionea Death camp -

DSCN5863.jpg

Basically if it's not growing in my terrarium, it's on my windowsill of shame.

Ok, took some pics today of my shameful bunch. Most of these plants were doing fine this time last year, but I had a hard time keeping temps down and humidity up last summer. To complicate things, in spring last year I removed my top dressings of live sphagnum and moved my fan. That was enough to really do some damage.

nepenthes muluensis x lowii
mul-x-lowii.jpg

nepenthes lowii. teeny tiny, and hasn't budged in almost a year. I'm probably giving up on this one.
lowii.jpg

nepenthes jamban:
jamban.jpg

nepenthes jacquelinae
jacq.jpg

nepenthes izumiae x x trusmadiensis. just now the growth point is showing promise.
Iz-x-x-tm.jpg

nepenthes hamata. Saddest of all. This plant did fine for quite a few months after getting it and pitchered well, but it really got hit hard over the summer. I'm holding out hope that it will pull through. This is actually the best it has looked in a while, sadly.
hamata.jpg

nepenthes bongso. It has looked like this for 4 years. It hasn't put on size, doesn't pitcher, and the leaves have streaks of white in them, and alway have. I don't know what the problem is.
bongso.jpg

Heliamphora pulchella. surprisingly, most of my heliamphora did well through the summer, but not this one.
pulchella.jpg

At least for the hamata and Heliamphora, I think you're having the same problem as I was... you should try changing out *all* of those plants' potting soil for lfs : perlite and see if it makes a difference. People tell me I'm doing it too dry, but your plants look even drier :0o:

My hamata went from this:

P6190001.jpg

to this:

PB050003.jpg

It's just the top that is dry. It's quite moist underneath, they get a daily watering. I've been tracking it closely. Putting it into this new mix is actually when it started putting out new green growth. fingers crossed. The heli is in 1 part lfs 1 part perlite, the bark is just top dressing.

It's just the top that is dry. It's quite moist underneath, they get a daily watering. I've been tracking it closely. Putting it into this new mix is actually when it started putting out new green growth. fingers crossed. The heli is in 1 part lfs 1 part perlite, the bark is just top dressing.

Oh I see :) The Nep hamata would still benefit from having lfs on top because its ability to make pitchers is directly related to how much lfs is on top of the mix. I used to have some lfs in my mix before going to lfs : perlite, but it clearly wasn't enough because I got no pitchers, but now I get one on every leaf (and honestly the leaves look happier now too - not rolled down like they were before :oops:).

Ever get this choking green surface-slime? Not good.....

green_mold.jpg

green_mold2.jpg

Near dead N. ventricosa. :(

deadN_ventricosa.jpg

FRYSTER!!! Glad to see your still alive.. sorry about the plants though. Doing a Nepenthes Showcase at the SGS across the street from your house. You should come check it out..

To look on the bright side, here are some pics of a few of my recovering plants:

47ad35e6.jpg

D. capensis "Broad Leaf" growing and dewing happily, albeit much smaller than its former self.

fa3027d2.jpg

D. capensis "Broad Leaf" plantlets from root cuttings!!! They grow FAST

96a66ab9.jpg

D. aliciae - still looking mighty gnarly, but all that green growth is BRAND new over the past week.

Things are looking up for these sickos!

I haven't had the time to review this entire thread,
however I have certainly had my share of deceased plants over the years.
For me, this thread has served as a reminder,
that when we come across a naturally growing stand of CP's out in the wild,
that we should leave them undisturbed.

Other than the rare occurrences when a site is indeed in jeopardy and the plants need relocation,
plants are better off left where they are and allowed to live out their lives as nature intended.
There are more than enough plants available at affordable prices or for trade, so that there is no real need for the average person to be field collecting for their own benefit.

In general, nature can handle giving plants the environment they need far better than any of us can.
Nature is not "busy" with other things like work or school or distracted to where it forgets to water or give the plants the right amount of light.

We all lose plants.... for whatever reason. So the next time you see a field of sundew or Sarrs in the local bog or while on vacation, enjoy them, then leave them for others to enjoy... or at least leave them so that their progeny may someday help to populate the natural stands in the future.
I have lived long enough to see many natural stands of plants killed off, by selfish land use, draining of wetlands and poaching. Our natural environment needs all the plants it has, if there are to be natural CP sites in the future.
So unless you know for sure that a group of plants are in danger because of negative environmental changes, leave them be. For as this thread shows, our taking plants in to our own care does not necessary mean their survival. Far from it!
Cultivated plants are propagated for us to grow (or kill). So it is best for the CP's that we love to stick with those, and leave the natural ones to grow wild... as nature intended.

Good luck all.

Very motivational, GrowingOld.

012-2.jpg

N. glabrata

DSCN6305.jpg

N. ampullaria x talangensis

DSCN6304.jpg

N. jacquelineae

DSCN6303.jpg

I killed a large part of my Utric collection recently by keeping them in waterlogged soil for......a few months. The surface of the soil was covered in slime mold and was choking out my utrics and genlisea.

So what are my casualties from the cold or heat so far.. I had N.inermis from Talang die while I was gone on travel (for work) from presumably just a really hot day.. I killed two N.rafflesiana that were grown from seed (and omg were they nice :cry:), I had to give away the N.ampullaria as well as several boxes of orchids. I have 2 Drosera paradoxa hybrids die (one when the inermis died) so now I'm down to just D.paradoxa and no hybrids. I have a Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant' being devoured by mealies. I had a N.sp Doorman's Top #1 die on me not a month after getting it in a shipment from Germany, and randomly all my N.hamatas started looking like they wanted to abandon their growth points a month ago. The N.alata variegata and N.argentii wanted to abandon their growth points as well :( I guess I should take some photos for 'pics or it didn't happen' ..

edit: crappy pics time. Oh! And I lost an S.oreophila this year :cry:

N.tentaculata tried to abandon its growth tip too (from AW):
P9060002.jpg

the Ceph used to have tons of leaves in the center of the pot... they got destroyed by mealies. The white spots are melted mealies :evil:
P9060005.jpg

N.aristolochioides on abandoned growth tip attempt:
P9060008.jpg

N.clipeata clone 2, why are you pouting?
P9060010.jpg

N.alata variegata abandoning the main growth point and sprouting out of the side :(
P9060011.jpg

I think N.hamata is recovering..
P9060013.jpg

N.argentii recovering too I hope
P9060014.jpg

N.burbidgeae made a couple stupid leaves.. I hope it starts growing ok now?
P9060015.jpg

N.jacquelinae still looks like it doesn't want to grow. Maybe a repot to live sphagnum might help?
P9060016.jpg

D.paradoxa hybrid pot taking up room for no reason other than to be a place holder :(
P9060017.jpg

Why is this darlingtonia all dried up baby pitchers?
P9060018.jpg

D.adelae trying to commit dewy-cide
P9060020.jpg

roasted pygmy dews
P9060021.jpg

P9060022.jpg

N.campanulata :cry:
P9060025.jpg

My N.macrophyllas never keep more than 3 leaves :down: this is a clone from AW
P9060027.jpg

My ventricosa x hamatas look like this... on their growth points - why did you shrink?
P9060028.jpg

and N.hamata red hairy joined the regular hamatas in making puny little leaves :( though it may just be acclimating still?
P9060029.jpg

Last edited:
:c

I really love that variegated alata something fierce though.

Ugh tough to look at thez.

Do you think these mealy's are moving around and contaminating different pots?

Greg: haven't seen them anywhere else on foliage or roots so I think they just have favorite plants - S.Judith Hindle, S.leucophylla, S.purpurea, Ceph Hummer's Giant and VFT Royal Red. Otherwise, nothing, strangely enough. But I'm just spraying *EVERYTHING* just in case, though I haven't seen bugs elsewhere. I check everything 2X a day and spray everything down the second I see even 1 bug if it's between the 2X weekly that I've been spraying :evil:

I haven't had the time to review this entire thread,
however I have certainly had my share of deceased plants over the years.
For me, this thread has served as a reminder,
that when we come across a naturally growing stand of CP's out in the wild,
that we should leave them undisturbed.

Other than the rare occurrences when a site is indeed in jeopardy and the plants need relocation,
plants are better off left where they are and allowed to live out their lives as nature intended.
There are more than enough plants available at affordable prices or for trade, so that there is no real need for the average person to be field collecting for their own benefit.

In general, nature can handle giving plants the environment they need far better than any of us can.
Nature is not "busy" with other things like work or school or distracted to where it forgets to water or give the plants the right amount of light.

We all lose plants.... for whatever reason. So the next time you see a field of sundew or Sarrs in the local bog or while on vacation, enjoy them, then leave them for others to enjoy... or at least leave them so that their progeny may someday help to populate the natural stands in the future.
I have lived long enough to see many natural stands of plants killed off, by selfish land use, draining of wetlands and poaching. Our natural environment needs all the plants it has, if there are to be natural CP sites in the future.
So unless you know for sure that a group of plants are in danger because of negative environmental changes, leave them be. For as this thread shows, our taking plants in to our own care does not necessary mean their survival. Far from it!
Cultivated plants are propagated for us to grow (or kill). So it is best for the CP's that we love to stick with those, and leave the natural ones to grow wild... as nature intended.

Good luck all.

Well said. Wild plants look better, too. When photographing these plants I prefer to use wild grown plants. They're bigger, more colorful, and have a special feel to them. I wild clump of S. flava that's 4 feet wide, or a thick colony of Drosera capillaris is something worthy of sitting down and admiring for a few long minutes.

I do take small samples when I find a new location of particular plants when doing field work, but only if it's a large population, and I only take 3 small plants that aren't flowered or setting seed.

I should post my Ping on here, it looks awful.

Thezzz I am sad seeing those pics. :(

Hamata red hairy? That thing needs to be put in a terrarium with lights !

Here's N. singalana 'Tujuh' I'm sure it's gone. I couldn't save it. I tried. :cry:

DSCN6433.jpg

Back