What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thez_yo

instigator
Well, now that I've had the nice plants on show for a couple months... time to show you what looks like trash.

Enjoy?

Drosera paradoxa
P2250111.jpg

probably could use 20 degrees F more

Phalaenopsis stuartiana
P2250110.jpg

no idea what's going wrong with it... does it want more light or less light than like, phal violacea?

Nepenthes ampullaria
P2250109.jpg

supposedly intermediate, but totally hating life even though I swear my temps are intermediate inside

Nepenthes campanulata
P2250108.jpg

this is what happens when you give it 60 by day and 45 by night for 4 months straight...and not enough light to boot!

Nepenthes eustachya
P2250107.jpg

also an unhappy lowlander

Heliamphora sp. "Angasima"
P2250106.jpg

Nepenthes sp. "Doorman's Top 2"
P2250105.jpg

Nepenthes jacquelinae
P2250104.jpg

P2250103.jpg

(used to be double-growth point :()

Utricularia longifolia
P2250102.jpg

got it as an extra with a Heliamphora from last year's NASC auction - honestly I'm surprised it's still alive!

Utricularia humboldtii + Drosera prolifera
P2250101.jpg

both are barely clinging to life :lol:

Nepenthes "Pandora"
P2250100.jpg

unhappy due to shipping or something - only been with me long enough to lose all its pitchers and its will to live :-))

and of course last but not prettiest, Nepenthes peltata
P2190034.jpg

barely clinging to life

Now show me yours! :poke:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wall of shame.....what a novel idea.....hmm...I gotta get a few pics. :-))

Looks like you need to send some of those to me asap!! :O

Poor stuartiana :(

ouch...
*scroll down*
ouch....
*scroll down*
ooo....
*scroll down*
ouch
*scroll down*
OUCH!---
hahaha-- i mean sob sob sob sob...

Stuartina wants less light, and to be almost dry between waterings
I agree with tali..some of those need adopting, you can find room for the campy in my hamata box :D
Seriously though..I feel your pain and admire your courage in sharing with us. As others chime in on what my be troubling them we may all learn something that we can use to help our own plants.
hang in there Thez :hug:

Ouch! Some expensive deaths there. Most I would say can be blamed on the wrong temps (Lowlanders being way too cold) combined with all of them drying out completely.

I'm sorry Thez. I've been ogling the N. peltata thread for the last couple of days, and I sincerely hope yours gets out of its funk soon. Maybe the extra love and good vibes from these posts will help it out? :eek:

...I agree with tali..some of those need adopting, you can find room for the campy in my hamata box :D
.... and I hereby volunteer to adopt the Heliamphora sp. "Angasima" and do everything possible to nurse it to a wonderful full-size plant. :-O

I wouldn't worry about the U. longifolia, like U. bisquamata & U. subulata, it's not possible to kill this species. :jester:

Oh heck your building some character there. I wish I knew more specifics but cannot help in that area. It does sound like you need some heat though !

The nepenthes of Walmart. LOL. I know I have have few.

Oh, the humanity! I love it.

Allow me to introduce myself as the CP grim reaper. When I show up, CPs just drop dead!

These were all taken at various times over the past five months or so. Many of these plants have passed away! Eek!

D. adelae:
IMG_0469.jpg

D. aliciae:
1000000178.JPG

D. spatulata:
IMG_0143.jpg

D. capensis 'Broad Leaf:'
cd7408b8.jpg

D. venusta:
614b589c.jpg

D. nitidula x pulchella:
85de32b0.jpg

U. sandersonii:
d39f468c.jpg

U. longifolia:
7b0bf7f0.jpg

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Have you examined any of those damaged leaves with a magnifying glass to see if any parasites might be present.

Looks like you need to send some of those to me asap!! :O

Haha, only if *you* file all the paperwork :p

Poor stuartiana :(

Yeah it looks so bad :(

ouch...
*scroll down*
ouch....
*scroll down*
ooo....
*scroll down*
ouch
*scroll down*
OUCH!---
hahaha-- i mean sob sob sob sob...

:( I know... I moved some inside today and actually *gasp* turned on the heat because it was even a little chilly for me to sit around.

Stuartina wants less light, and to be almost dry between waterings
I agree with tali..some of those need adopting, you can find room for the campy in my hamata box :D
Seriously though..I feel your pain and admire your courage in sharing with us. As others chime in on what my be troubling them we may all learn something that we can use to help our own plants.
hang in there Thez :hug:

Thanks :) I've moved it just recently so hopefully it perks up...

Ouch! Some expensive deaths there. Most I would say can be blamed on the wrong temps (Lowlanders being way too cold) combined with all of them drying out completely.

Yeah, I really really really hope they perk up in a couple months when it warms up again.

I'm sorry Thez. I've been ogling the N. peltata thread for the last couple of days, and I sincerely hope yours gets out of its funk soon. Maybe the extra love and good vibes from these posts will help it out? :eek:

:) Thanks Raven.

.... and I hereby volunteer to adopt the Heliamphora sp. "Angasima" and do everything possible to nurse it to a wonderful full-size plant. :-O

I wouldn't worry about the U. longifolia, like U. bisquamata & U. subulata, it's not possible to kill this species. :jester:

:lol: thanks for putting yourself out like that for me :p

And ah...I see, so I'll just let it stew more in its own juices then...

Oh heck your building some character there. I wish I knew more specifics but cannot help in that area. It does sound like you need some heat though !

fo sho *nods*

Having plants do poorly sucks doesn't it. But your doing way better than I am. I killed all the easy plants. Lost all my D. Capensis, D. Adelae, and N. Ventricosa.

Hey, you aren't a true grower until you've killed your share of plants.

Here's my contribution:

012.JPG

...I kinda let my Cephalotus get too dry. (Not giving up on it!)

Thez_yo ; Unfortunately your Phalaenopsis stuartiana looks very desiccated.
This plant comes from the tropical jungles of the Philippines, 300 ft elevation.
This species needs much shadier conditions and good humidity.
It looks to be getting too much light. Also, this orchid likes to be kept much more moist,
as it doesn't have a dry rest period. It simply likes to "dry" out between waterings.
Orchids don't like being saturated.
However, the bark you have it in basically needs to be watered every/every other day,
as it must dry out too fast.
Remember, a dry phalaenopsis is a dead phalaenopsis

Good luck nursing your plants back to health :water:

A microwave works!

Have you examined any of those damaged leaves with a magnifying glass to see if any parasites might be present.

Yeah, I did find a number of little white aphids on a bunch of my plants. It seems that the D. capensis I posted above, which I received in a trade, was a trojan horse carrying hundreds of the things. Before long, several of my plants were infested, including those above. Ultimately I think I got rid of them with repeated carpet bombings of neem oil, but not before I had lost one or two plants. That drastic a treatment took its toll too. On the bright side, I think I'm in the clear.

Thez_yo ; Unfortunately your Phalaenopsis stuartiana looks very desiccated.
This plant comes from the tropical jungles of the Philippines, 300 ft elevation.
This species needs much shadier conditions and good humidity.
It looks to be getting too much light. Also, this orchid likes to be kept much more moist,
as it doesn't have a dry rest period. It simply likes to "dry" out between waterings.
Orchids don't like being saturated.
However, the bark you have it in basically needs to be watered every/every other day,
as it must dry out too fast.
Remember, a dry phalaenopsis is a dead phalaenopsis

Good luck nursing your plants back to health :water:

Well that would explain it.... I need to heat the poor baby up :(

Back