Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: National Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea mom is in picture, Here in ny there is DEC department of environmental conservation and Forest rangers. There has been so far this year 1100 lay offs with them, Positions open up every like 4-7 yrs as you basically have to wait for somone to retire, not to mention they just bumped it to a 4 yr degree minimum. Pay isnt that great either.....They dont have the whole we will pay for ur loans thing like the army n stuff has

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you just looking at your own state? If you're considering military, a move is almost inevitable, so the NY job market is kind of irrelevant. I'd look at job markets elsewhere before falling back on the service. As for paying for your loans, no, most jobs don't have a program that will do that for you, but except at the lowest levels, compensation for military service is pretty low. And that's not even factoring in that you'll basically be putting your life on hold for the next six to eight years at a minimum. If you got a decent private job, and were conservative about your spending, you could pay your loans and still wind up with more cash in your pocket than you would serving.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well back to the main problem with the baby, trying to stay as close to family as possible. I was planning on DEC when i started my major then 6 months before i graduated the state changed it from 2 yr to 4 yr to filter out all the aplicants for the few jobs they had each year.....kinda screwd me but yea thanks for all the comments its def helping. I firgured if i commit my self for 6 yrs its all payed then i can go from there. I went to buy a house.....they said if i didnt go to school i could but because i owe so much they wont give me a loan wich is bogus considering the payments would have been under 400 when im paying almost a 1000 for rent .......

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

right now i work at a 5 star resort making 12$ n hour wich isnt crap.......if i can get a job as s police officer or something that pays and gives benefits but ny sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rball0406 View Post
    Yea mom is in picture, Here in ny there is DEC department of environmental conservation and Forest rangers. There has been so far this year 1100 lay offs with them, Positions open up every like 4-7 yrs as you basically have to wait for somone to retire, not to mention they just bumped it to a 4 yr degree minimum. Pay isnt that great either.....They dont have the whole we will pay for ur loans thing like the army n stuff has
    Have you thought about a career change? You can get MCSE certified (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) for a minimum of like 500-1000 bucks. What most of those ads you see and hear don't tell you is that all you have to do is pass the test. You can do this on your own with the many many books available on the course material. You don't have to go to those centers and take any courses. Of course, this can help but if you are low on money and have self motivation you can do it all on your own. It costs like 100 bucks to take the tests and books on each course typically run 20-50 depending on new or used. 6 tests are required for MCSE certification if I recall. It really doesn't take that long to get a certification. Helpdesk skills are pretty basic. If you are already good with a computer, then you are about 50% there.

Once you get a job in IT, most employeers will then pay for you to further your certifications and become much more of a commodity. Many of the people I work with started in career paths other than IT. One of my good work buddy's was an aviation tech and also a pilot. Entry level helpdesk techs can typically make 40-50K starting out. The more certifications and qualifications you get, the more you have the potential to make. I know some guys that make 250K+ as storage consultants for places like EMC, Dell, etc. They started out as HS graduates who decided to get certified in some tech skill.

Just a thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I willing to try anything, Im great at anything i do i commit my self 100%. I do have some experience with computers but they are mostly big head aches lol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So then, your family doesn't want to move with you? I still don't really understand why the military would be acceptable but moving to find a well-paying private sector job wouldn't.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no we will move if its worth it, just want to be close to family but if it means a well paying job then ill move

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I see now, like extended family. There is definitely merit in that.
    ~Joe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast