Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tsunami warnings issued for Pacific rim

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, 5.7 ft (1.74 m) Kahului - 4.6 ft (1.4m) Hilo. Streets are still dry here. Some damage up at Santa Cruz harbor - boats broken loose, docks damaged.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    has gotten in land some wet up the street to this point.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?client=f...,60.58,,0,9.09

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reports now of 6 ft waves at 28 min intervals Kahului.

More than 1000 killed in Japan.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 03-11-2011 at 10:18 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    its a major quake, no doubt, but its not unnatural and the world aint coming to an end cause the moon is slightly closer than usual in a week or so......every time one of these things hit be it an earthquake or a storm Katrina all the sudden the sky is falling and the worlds coming to an end....hell we havent even had a truly major volcanic eruption since Krakatoa vaporized 120 some years ago......the world aint ending, its the natural cycle of things.....
    I was in no way implying the world is coming to and end. I understand that it is a natural cycle of lunar orbit and has occured many many times in the past. I was just wondering if anyone knew or thought there was merit to the claim a supermoon in some way influenced this from a scientific standpoint. Perhaps triggered it early. I personally know nothing of the topic and never heard the term supermoon until a few days ago.

EDIT:
    I guess I should have taken note what kind of people were claiming this.... LOL. Astrologers.... I need new glasses. That is hardly scientific. Nevermind.
    Last edited by dashman; 03-11-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hardly unscientific either really.... The moon being at its peak potential for gravitational influence could easily influence seismic activity, it would only be a fool who would say otherwise.

Whether or not the Supermoon theory will be as catastrophic as the loonies are saying will have to remain to be seen. But the fact is that the moon will be exceptionally close and potent in the upcoming days and weeks and that the entire Ring of Fire should take heed of that. Japan is in a highly volatile region, but an 8.9 quake corresponding with the moon's activities seems pretty obviously connected to me.

It was strange we got a Tsunami warning on the radio, kind of eerie! But I live on the Inside Passage, so I am more or less safe from Tsunamis.

My heart goes out to Japan and I say good luck to all those on the Pacific outer coast!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was making light of the fact that the "loonies" were not basing thier predictions on scientific principles.

I would think there may be some merit to increased seismic activity. Increased stress to the earth's crust due to a closer than normal moon could very well accelerate a shift in the earth's crust. Something that would have probably occured anyways over time, but sped up due to the moon being closer to the earth perhaps.

But then again, I am talking about things I have absolutely no clue about and don't pretend to.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moon = gravitational influences = seismic activity

Those seem like some pretty fundamental scientific principles.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Moon = gravitational influences = seismic activity

Those seem like some pretty fundamental scientific principles.
    except it doesnt make that much of a difference, there is a fraction of a percent increase in seismic activity at high tides.......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast