What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Share your photographic lighting teks for dummies pls

• Thread starter Av8tor1
  • Start date
Share your photographic lighting techniques for dummies pls

I know this may be like asking for a chef's secret recipe but...
eager to learn, getting the new camera was only the beginning

Image posted by Mobile in another thread.... :hail:
sandersonii_expresso.JPG

(top left and right rear?... with RR the main source?)

We have such a deep talent pool here at TF, so teach meeeeeeeeeeeeee LOL
What setup did you use for some of your most favorite plant images?

TIA,
Av

Last edited:
I'm certainly not an advanced photographer, but cheap trick I learned doing video production back in highschool is that white cardboard is your friend. Nearly any bright, whitish light source can be helpful if you've got a good diffuser on hand.
~Joe

In general the most pleasing results come from reducing or eliminating harsh shadows.

This can be achieved from fill-in lighting from mulitple light sources and diffusion.

The simplest multiple source are reflectors which can be anything that reflects light - color and amount of light and diffusion are affected by the material and surface texture. Artificial light sources and flashes (off and on camera) are others.

Diffusion is achieved by scattering the light between the source and subject. If outdoors simply moving (when possible) the subject under open shade will work wonders. Otherwise tents, canopies or screens of various materials can be used. I've read of some photographers making their own rigs from shower curtains and PVC pipes to use in the field.

When using a flash it can help to move the flash unit off-camera. You can usually buy off camera flash cables that have the connections to maintain full automation functions of the flash. There are also wireless flash triggers but you will probably lose some of the functions of the flash (like Through-The-Lens exposure control).

Diffusion can be added to just about any flash as simply as using a white handkerchief held in place with a rubber band. There is usually one or two in my camera bag for just that purpose - or what other small emergencies that may come up. White plastic grocery bags work as well. If you want to get fancier find a milky white plastic bottle - the sort that rubbing alcohol usually comes in - that will fit over the head of the flash unit and do some cutting.

cheap ways? for large areas bounce light off a sheet of white copy paper, for small areas cheap book lights with flexible necks...........

i just take pics outside on cloudy days. really nice diffused light with few harsh shadows.....

i just take pics outside on cloudy days. really nice diffused light with few harsh shadows.....

some of us live where there is snow on the ground for 4 or 5 months......

i do go into the greenhouse when it is cold and windy. wind is the biggest issue for me. The snow should actually help reflect light but may mess up and add extra glare..... i need to work in places with snow

the cold that goes with it is a lil rough on most CP's, especially neps :D

Light colored sand works as almost as well as snow as a reflector.

For "glistening carnivores" such as Drosera and Byblis backlighting or a ring-flash can really make the drops of dew jump out. The problem with using a flash again are harsh shadows or if the light source as nearly parallel with focal axis of the lens virtually no shadows which leads to an unnatural flat or 2 dimensional looking image. This can be alleviated with ring-flash units that can turn off segments or an off-camera flash setup. But you want to position the light so the reflections off the dew drops goes into the lens.

This shot of Drosera venusta was back-lit with late afternoon sunlight coming through the balcony door.
cocciaulis1.jpg

This Drosera admirabilis shot was taken with a ring-flash. This particular unit is made up of four segments or tubes. If you look closely at drop of dew nearest the center of the crown you can see the reflection of four individual flash tubes.
01300016crop.jpg

I just look for even lighting, not alot of shadows, bright spots or glare. Once I get that it really doesn't matter about the intensity of the light. Study tripod, good ballhead, solid flat colored background and a remote is all I need. Adjust the aperture and shutter speed to get the exposure your looking for. With the current camera I'm using I have to underexpose almost everything. Alot of the macro shots I've taken are 5+ second shutter speeds so a tripod is required. That sundew would look so much better with a nice out of focus green, blue or black background :-D. A very nice shot btw. Or the sun setting in the background, yep thats the one, so make it happen!

Simple but effective DIY,
However... while the box may be ghetto, a wireless triggered flash setup isn't
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html
(there are some more ghetto-ish alternatives...)
Barry Rice had a similar DIY somewhere for outdoor sunlight use.

I already have the box, and just scored a Canon ST-E2 wireless transmitter on the cheap (ebay) :D
(doing happy dance)

Last edited:
Wait, does Strobist belong to Barry...?
~Joe

Simple but effective DIY,
However... while the box may be ghetto, a wireless triggered flash setup isn't
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html
(there are some more ghetto-ish alternatives...)
Barry Rice had a similar DIY somewhere for outdoor sunlight use.

I already have the box, and just scored a Canon ST-E2 wireless transmitter on the cheap (ebay) :D
(doing happy dance)

Nice link Av8tor1, thanks!
Maybe this will help my poor skills.:blush:

I know this may be like asking for a chef's secret recipe but...
eager to learn, getting the new camera was only the beginning

Image posted by Mobile in another thread.... :hail:
sandersonii_expresso.JPG

(top left and right rear?... with RR the main source?)

We have such a deep talent pool here at TF, so teach meeeeeeeeeeeeee LOL
What setup did you use for some of your most favorite plant images?

TIA,
Av
Black felt cloth cloth, to absorb/scatter reflection and a daylight CFL light overhead, to the rear, pointing slightly forward. F7.4 to give good depth of focus. NO flash and room blacked out (mostly), so tripod required. Camera is a Samsung compact 8.1 megapixel - so nothing flashy.

Back