Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Massive plant dieoff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with SDCPs, I even started to water with plain old tap water without problems as long as I allowed rain to wash the minarals out in the winter. I never keep my plants in water during winter and have never suffered root rot. Loosing your collection Is hard I know but dont give up. Jack
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds to me like rot. I keep mine in an un heated attic all winter, and very dry. Maybe slightly damp, but water may've a tiny bit ever other week.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

I also wanted to mention that I water with 100% lake weir tap water year after year withno problems. I do repot every year though.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tested the water and the results weren't horrific

Total hardness (TH) ppm: 100
    Free Chlorine (FC)/Bromine ppm: 1/2
    pH: 6.4
    Total Alkalinity(TA) ppm: between 40-80
    Cyanuric Acid (CYA) ppm: 0
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D_muscipula,

I noticed on your other post that you are rebuilding your collection with some worthy plants!
    New plant Sarracenia purpurea subsp. venosa var. burkii "chipola"
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126253

[Sarracenia purpurea subsp. venosa var. burkii "chipola" / Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora]
    (Indeed those Sarrs look juicy!)

But back on this thread/subject...
    Did you ever get my contribution/package of plants I sent you?
    Been over 10 days and I never heard back...
    but then I figured that with such nice Sarrs you had posted were arriving,
    you must have gotten better "help" from someone than I was able to give!

From those Sarr pics, its certainly understandable that you have been busy with other more important plants and things, but I had kind of hoped to hear a word or two back when you got my "donation".

Of course if by remote chance you haven't received my package yet, it is by now likely you will some day receive a box with a dead B-52 and other dead plant specimens! Normally 3-5 days in transit for plants to arrive, but 10 days or more spells a real problem...
    Oh well, I did try to help you out with what I could, but it seems there's been yet another casualty of your "Massive Dieoff"! I hope it isn't catching!

By the way, Very nice Sarr. plants you have there as seen on your other post/thread at least!
    Good luck.

[I did give you a heads up when I shipped them out, so I assume they aren't sitting on a front porch somewhere! Perhaps watch if your neighbor starts growing really large VFT's and other CP's! ]
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought those sarracenia
    the purpurea was only 6 dollars, and the rubricorpora, just $20 for a mature division
    I couldn't resist those prices! no plant addict can!

I did receive the care package you sent, the plants are all outside and have adjusted nicely.
    They're already sending up some new growth.
    I'm sorry I haven't sent you a pm. I've been meaning to sit down and send a more personal thank-you letter. With the end of spring break though I've been busy with school again, I graduate from HS this year, and there's only like 50 days of school left, I've been busy with college stuff, placement tests, etc. I cut out the return address from the box you sent me and I was planning to write you this weekend.

PS: I'm planning to cross the purpurea and rubricorpora. I'll send you some seeds when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GrowinOld View Post
    D_muscipula,

I noticed on your other post that you are rebuilding your collection with some worthy plants!
    New plant Sarracenia purpurea subsp. venosa var. burkii "chipola"
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126253

[Sarracenia purpurea subsp. venosa var. burkii "chipola" / Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora]
    (Indeed those Sarrs look juicy!)

But back on this thread/subject...
    Did you ever get my contribution/package of plants I sent you?
    Been over 10 days and I never heard back...
    but then I figured that with such nice Sarrs you had posted were arriving,
    you must have gotten better "help" from someone than I was able to give!

From those Sarr pics, its certainly understandable that you have been busy with other more important plants and things, but I had kind of hoped to hear a word or two back when you got my "donation".

Of course if by remote chance you haven't received my package yet, it is by now likely you will some day receive a box with a dead B-52 and other dead plant specimens! Normally 3-5 days in transit for plants to arrive, but 10 days or more spells a real problem...
    Oh well, I did try to help you out with what I could, but it seems there's been yet another casualty of your "Massive Dieoff"! I hope it isn't catching!

By the way, Very nice Sarr. plants you have there as seen on your other post/thread at least!
    Good luck.

[I did give you a heads up when I shipped them out, so I assume they aren't sitting on a front porch somewhere! Perhaps watch if your neighbor starts growing really large VFT's and other CP's! ]
    view my growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D.musc were did you over winter your plants? I live near Salem and have always (16 years) over wintered my plants outside and have never lost a plant during winter. I lost almost all my plants (see grow list) due to not being watered so I know how you feel, just know with friends help you can slowly replenish your plants. Jack
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    D.musc were did you over winter your plants? I live near Salem and have always (16 years) over wintered my plants outside and have never lost a plant during winter. I lost almost all my plants (see grow list) due to not being watered so I know how you feel, just know with friends help you can slowly replenish your plants. Jack
    I live in Salem actually.
    I had a really bad fungus gnat infestation, I didn't spray my dormant plants with insecticide or anything because I think the rain would have washed it away before it had the chance to dry.
    I think the fungus gnats made my plants prone to rotting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Fungus gnats have been known to vector the Fusarium fungus. Fusarium has been identified in rotting rhizomes. Of course the presence of either could be a symptom and not the cause. However Fusarium is responsible for many plant diseases.
    view my growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch. If I had any of those plants, I'd be happy to send them your way. Unfortunately, neither Dionaea nor Sarracenia have much of a presence in my collection. Sorry for your loss. ;c

EDIT: Ugh, 'Akai Ryu' = 'Red Dragon', always forget the technicalities. I have a very freshly propagated one growing. It's the only one I have outside of the mother plant who isn't looking so hot, but I'd be more than happy to send it to you anyway if you don't get that replaced. Let me know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123