Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Massive plant dieoff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Massive plant dieoff

I thought I was an experienced grower, and I am.
    But I learned I wasn't as experienced as I thought previously.
    I lost around 99% of my temperate carnivores this last winter due to root rot.

To prevent their soil from being waterlogged during dormancy, I punched a drainage hole in the side of my water trays to keep the water at a maximum of a half inch. I couldn't go lower or my trays would be no good during growing season, so I took a siphon and manually drained the rest. I got a mouthful of peat water a few times, not knowing it would be in vain.
    I would have removed the trays altogether but I had a few pots that are about one inch wide at the base, and five or so inches tall, the trays help stabilize the pots, and prevented my other plants from falling off the table.

When I re-potted my plants I discovered many mushy bulbs/rhizomes.

One plant that I was fortunately given was S. oreophila
    It was a beauty, the largest in my collection, with 26" tall pitchers.
    I had it in a large 8 inch pot. When I repotted back in nov-december the rhizome looked robust and the root structure was wiry, and the roots were a nice ivory color. However I fear I may have lost this plant too as it has shown no signs that it's alive, it's phyllodia died back before I re potted it hasn't made new ones. What dissapoints me is I would have had to giveaway, and some to sow, but my kitten broke the flower stalk after I hand pollinated the flower.
    Here is a photo of the plant, it made these pitchers and flowered under my care.

Sorry to the person who was kind enough to give me the division

Here is a lit of all the plants I lost
    Well over $200 dollars
    I know I paid at least $20 for my B52, and for the red psittacina which I hand picked during a open house at a nursery.

D. muscipula " B52"
    D. muscipula cv. 'Akai Ryu'
    D. muscipula cv. 'Cupped Trap'
    D. muscipula cv. 'Dentate Traps'
    D. muscipula cv. 'Red Piranha'

S. cv. 'Judith Hindle'
    S. cv. 'Scarlet Belle'
    S. x ahlsii - (S.rubra x S.alata 'red throat)
    S. alata
    S. x formosa
    S. gulfensis x jonesii giant
    S. luecophylla cv. 'Tarnok'
    S. minor
    S. oreophila
    S. psittacina var. typica
    S. psittacina "var. red"
    S. psittacina "f. dark maroon"
    S. x readii
    S. rubra
    S. rubra ssp. wherryi

If anyone could help me rebuild my collection with extras I would be highly appreciative.
    These are the plants I am most looking to replace
    S. oreophila (of like size 22-26" pitchers)
    S. psittacina (dark maroon, or red)
    D. 'Red Piranha'
    D. 'B52'
    D. 'cup trap'

The rest of the plants, while I am sad to have lost them I can live without.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cousin experienced a simlar fate twice with collections with far more valuable plants. Dont worry, you can rebound and be up and going again within the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D_muscipula View Post
    I thought I was an experienced grower, and I am.
    But I learned I wasn't as experienced as I thought previously.
    I lost around 99% of my temperate carnivores this last winter due to root rot.
    Creeping intoxication of the substrate by using water with too many minerals in it during summer can lead to heavy losses of plants in the next winter.

So perhaps not only purchase new plants, use new substrate as well and double-check the water you are using for watering (when using other than pure rain water)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about that i think i had three or four flytraps that had root rot this year also they didn't make it either sorry for you and i am sorry for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It happens to all of us from time to time. I lost a flytrap and possibly a very large purple pitcher this year. The purple pitcher though, didn't have a dormancy last year. The person I got it off of just grew it out. So maybe that had weakened it. It was quite confused last year. It tried blooming in October.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    Creeping intoxication of the substrate by using water with too many minerals in it during summer can lead to heavy losses of plants in the next winter.

So perhaps not only purchase new plants, use new substrate as well and double-check the water you are using for watering (when using other than pure rain water)!

I have a pretty sweet filter
    I don't know if it's RO but I know it's UV
    My mother works in wastewater management and she says it removes the minerals and salts so they are below 50 Parts Per Million. I definitely notice a taste difference between the filter and the tap. However it is possible that minerals could have built up in the tray over time through evaporation, like setting sea water out in a metal pan on the beach.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been working with reef tanks a little over three years, and as far as I know UV filters don't remove anything but bacteria and pathogens. Minerals and impurities can only be removed via mechanical filtration, such as with an RO/DI unit.
    I think we just found your problem.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow..sorry to hear that!

two issues I can see:

pots too wet all winter..you really need to remove the trays completely, no standing water at all.
    plus let them drain and dry out for a week or so before putting them away for the winter..
    were your pots bagged? or exposed to the open air?

"I don't know if it's RO but I know it's UV"

UV is meaningless for CP's..all UV does is kill pathogens..it does nothing about hardness.
    If the filter doesnt have any kind of RO membrane, then its no good for CP's..
    ion exchange resins are also no good for CP's..all they do is exchange some ions for different ones,
    but they dont make the water less hard overall..only three kinds of water should ever be used for VFTs and Sarrs:

Rain water
    RO water
    Distilled water

nothing else..
    sorry..looks like a combination of "too wet" plus possible mineral build up, was too much for your plants..

Scot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast