What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fish that you can put in your water trays?

swapping out the water regularly should take care of PH issues nd excess waste......allowing algae to grow on the sides of the tray will take up alot of the waste aswell.....

Really? Thanks so anyone think i should not do this and the reason why?

Too many chances for failure, don't do it.

if i based what i do on chances of failure i wouldnt learn alot of the stuff i have......surprising how often something with a high likelihood of failure works out just fine......

You could always test it on a smaller tray with one or two plants and fish. See what happens without putting all your plants in harms way. These fish are very small 1" length tops. I bought like 12 for my pond like two years ago and they are still there. I don't feed them or anything. The racoons kept eating all the other larger fish I would put in there. These fish are too small for them to care.

if i based what i do on chances of failure i wouldnt learn alot of the stuff i have......surprising how often something with a high likelihood of failure works out just fine......

If he fails, something has needlessly died.

it didnt die needlessy, he learned something in the process

or

it becomes compost for another plant/slug/bacterium to thrive off of.

happy now?

edit: or it goes to heaven. there... i think ive covered all the bases

during the winter time....i've never heard of fish swimming in ice...:oops:

I have found gambusia living in very small amounts of water in road ditches and other small bodies of water and they do just fine. You might also want to look at least killifish, it is a live bearer like the gambusia that stay much smaller and should be ok. My only consern would be if you add any extra fertilizers, if you do I would try using aquarium plant fertilizers.

i guarantee you i kill 100 times the amount of lil fish he may kill in a summer trying to catch bigger fish......we are growing plants that kill and eat critters......if a couple fish die for an experiment big deal......

While I don't quite agree with rattler's philosophical perspective, I think there's definitely some practical wisdom to it. These are not rare or fragile creatures - they multiply by the dozens and their populations can go from 7000 to 120,000 in a matter of months. Animals that breed this fast do so because they're meant to live in environments where most of their young might be picked off by predators or die as a result of harsh conditions. We're not talking about bison or redwoods here.
I think it would be prudent to attempt to maximize the chance of success before bringing the fish in - I don't think there's much merit in naive or unprepared experimentation - but the loss of a few small fish that are vigorously invasive pests in other parts of the world is not so worrisome. It's not making a dent in their endemic populations so ultimately it's neither hurting the environment as a whole nor is it really subjecting the individuals to any sort of unusual cruelty. My biggest hesitation comes from the possibility that they may escape into the wild and disrupt other critters that occupy a similar niche, as they've already been known to do.
~Joe

@eou-The other thing that you might do is to look at that areas where you might find some native CP and see if there are any fish found in the bogs there. I think that both the Least Killifish and the Gambusia sp. are found in your neck of the woods.

I would think that if you can keep at least three inches of standing water and that the water does not get to hot you should be able to keep some fish in your bog gardens. If you do decied to try keep everyone posted.

Thes fish appear to be canabalistic
Abut 4 yrs ago I put six in a large hexagonal terrerium in a shady spot of my grow area
I was surprised after 3 years that there were at least 2 alive and at least 1 this year
They seem to have a habit of eating their youngThe only aereation they get is when I spray some water into the container
I think it would take a lot of fish poop to alter the ph

Back