Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NASC teasers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have experience shipping glass successfully? I was thinking of putting up a few sliding front aquarium modification kits to change your empty tank stood on end into one of these terrariums I like so much.

You would get three pieces of 1/8" thick glass (door, soil guard and top strip), a strip of aluminum screen and length of sliding door track. Buyer would need a tube of Amazing Goop from Home Depot/Lowes or aquarium silicone to do this modification according to my directions here:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123600

The kit would eliminate the assembler having to try to cut panes of glass. Just glue, cure outside for a week or so and plant. I can ship in flat cardboard sheets marked "GLASS fragile" if anyone thinks that would be effective.

I can make them for 10 gallon and 20 gallon tanks if anyone is interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Anyone have experience shipping glass successfully? I was thinking of putting up a few sliding front aquarium modification kits to change your empty tank stood on end into one of these terrariums I like so much.

You would get three pieces of 1/8" thick glass (door, soil guard and top strip), a strip of aluminum screen and length of sliding door track. Buyer would need a tube of Amazing Goop from Home Depot/Lowes or aquarium silicone to do this modification according to my directions here:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123600

The kit would eliminate the assembler having to try to cut panes of glass. Just glue, cure outside for a week or so and plant. I can ship in flat cardboard sheets marked "GLASS fragile" if anyone thinks that would be effective.

I can make them for 10 gallon and 20 gallon tanks if anyone is interested.
    will this be a new selling project venture that can be called on in the future?
    L'imagination est la clé de la logique de la pensée, une plus grande vérité éternelle.
    Me

Formerly Plantea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is interest then perhaps!

For now it's only as an experiment to see if such parts will actually survive shipping. I thought the auction would be a good way to see. I've been to the airport delivering jobs for work and I've seen how packages (even ones marked "fragile") are handled at the airport annex... That's why I'm curious if anyone has sent/received glass successfully through the mail.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is interest then perhaps!

For now it's only as an experiment to see if such parts will actually survive shipping. I thought the auction would be a good way to see. I've been to the airport delivering jobs for work and I've seen how packages (even ones marked "fragile") are handled at the airport annex... That's why I'm curious if anyone has sent/received glass successfully through the mail.
    I have recieved a few of the 12" Exo-terra's through UPS without any problem, they were boxed in the original box then put inside another box with more packing.

If you get those all shiny and premade, you could register a patent and sell them on E-bay or the frog forums, I'm sure you would sell a few dozen a year with little effort, if you promoted them who knows. Target the frog people, they go nuts for this type of thing.

Then roll that money back into CPs!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know people ship mirrors and picture frames and stuff... Maybe you could find some stiff foam to sandwich the panes between - I may have even seen boxes at shipping places specifically for this purpose. Also, there's always insurance.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I'm curious if anyone has sent/received glass successfully through the mail.
    I periodically receive 2 & 4 foot fluorescent lamps without any issue. Bubble wrap and then a few inches of peanuts (3-4") on all sides should do the trick.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just thinking of selling a kit of the three glass pieces, screen and sliding track, just six pre-cut pieces with a link to online instructions not the whole assembled tanks. I don't think you could patent something that used someone else's retail parts (pre-made AGA tanks)... could you?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to a person I met who was in the export shipping business panes of glass should be shipped vertically. So it is important to label as "Glass - Fragile - Handle with Care" and indicate "This End Up".
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast