Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy idea! Move to Borneo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy idea! Move to Borneo!

Nepenthes are great. But growing them in enclosed spaces cramps their style and beauty. Nepenthes tend to look their best in large hanging baskets. or in large pots with a trellis or something to climb.

It's easier said than done, there would definitely be issues to work out. One challenge would be exporting my plants. But it would be great to move to Borneo or Sumatra, and live in a region where they can grow wild and unrestrained on a back porch.
    I can see it now. Me living in a nice 1930's style bungalow, that I built with American dollars. I'd have a hammock that I relax in while I eat fruit. I'd live on the edge of the jungle, and I have local guides help lead me deep inside. Equipped with a frame pack, camera, magnifying glass, and a pith helmet for kicks, I scour the forest for undiscovered plant species.
    It seems they are discovering one or two new nepenthes species a year. Just think, I could discover a new species. Formally describe it, collect seed (responsibly) and try my luck at tissue culture.

If I lived in Borneo, or Sumatra, one thing I would definitely want to have is a steerable hot air balloon. Instead of a basket, it is more like a ski ilft chair, with a bar that comes down, and their is a powerful fan at the back of the chair, that can be turned by a lever. Cool stuff
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why export your plants? I say liquidate them, use the money to move, then buy direct from Borneo Exotics. I bet the turnaround would be way better than their international shipments. XD
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not want to live in either of these countries due to their draconian Islamic inspired social laws. I could probably behave myself on a vacation but long term I'm not interested in watching my every word and step. I can get away with much more here without nearly as steep of punishments if apprehended... and we'll just leave it at that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I am aware of public caning in countries like singapore
    (if that's what you mean)
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caning is relatively tame compared to what they can do to you for other "offenses". Both Malaysia and Indonesia have very strict Islamic punishments in their legal system. I don't want to live anywhere that religion has a strong hand in government, the fundamentalist Christian politicians in the USA are bad enough to make themselves a nuisance but in Islamic countries I could probably be beheaded at least 3 times a day just following my normal routine and conversation flow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D_muscipula View Post
    But it would be great to move to Borneo or Sumatra, and live in a region where they can grow wild and unrestrained on a back porch.
    You're apparently not the 1st to have this idea.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always try Hawaii...
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    I would not want to live in either of these countries due to their draconian Islamic inspired social laws. I could probably behave myself on a vacation but long term I'm not interested in watching my every word and step. I can get away with much more here without nearly as steep of punishments if apprehended... and we'll just leave it at that!
    Draconian theory can be nerve racking lol
    L'imagination est la clé de la logique de la pensée, une plus grande vérité éternelle.
    Me

Formerly Plantea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast