What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to Repot? Or Not? Cold Outside, Already Putting Up Stalks, Had Mold.

I have my plants in my garage for winter, and we've had some warm days, but it's back into the 20s and 30s. I checked on my plants today and noticed that at least one is putting up a flower stalk.

If they're putting up stalks, is it too late to repot? I repotted all my plants last spring, and I wouldn't think they'd need repotting again this year, but there was mold on the surface of the soil during dormancy.

I used a sulfur-based fungicide to treat it. If there's any mold remaining, would just having it out in the sun and wind cure it when the temperatures are warmer? Along with more sulfur-based fungicide? So they don't really need to be repotted?

Please advise. ???

I say it may be to late but that's just me you might disturb the plant then it might not flower as well.

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

If it needs repotting or not depends on the size of the pot if it's 5 inches or smaller you need to repot every year bigger than that every 2-5 years will do. Hope this helps.

Ean Traylor

If it needs repotting or not depends on the size of the pot if it's 5 inches or smaller you need to repot every year bigger than that every 2-5 years will do. Hope this helps.

Ean Traylor

If that's the case, I should probably repot everything. Most of my plants are in planters. If I repot before it's warm out, I'd have to put them back in the garage where their peat may grow mold again, though. :-\

I would say to "hold out for brighter days". (only old hippies will recognize this line)
Everything on this side of the country is at least 4 weeks behind last year.
It has been an interesting winter!

Would it be bad for the plant to repot it while it's trying to put up a flower stalk? Use up all the energy and possibly kill it? I could snip the stalks.... but I really like the flowers.... :-(

Definitely not too late to repot, Ten. You can pretty much repot Sarracenia for most of the year with very minimal, if any, negative affect. Dividing them on the other hand can set them back if not done correctly. Good luck!

Phil

Thanks, Phil. I do have some VFTs that I was thinking of dividing. But as far as I can tell, they haven't started to put up flower stalks.

You have buds? Really? I don't have anything!

Sure do! Almost wish I didn't, though!

Back