What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where I live.

I've been checking out the pictures people post of the scenery and plants in their area. Well here's mine. These pictures are from Oasis State Park, a couple of miles northwest of town, and a bit south of the Blackwater Draw site (where they discovered Clovis Man.) Hope you all enjoy!

First we'll start with some landscape shots.

DSCN5045.jpg

DSCN5071.jpg

DSCN5053.jpg

Yuccas are everywhere here.

DSCN5050.jpg

The Dunes:

DSCN5064.jpg

Hmm...shirt's a little short...

DSCN5066.jpg

DSCN5067.jpg

DSCN5075.jpg

My beautiful fiance

Then Flora:

DSCN5083.jpg

DSCN5047.jpg

DSCN5059.jpg

These cacti look a little forlorn after winter.

DSCN5090.jpg

DSCN5049.jpg

Some sagebrush, if you crush some in your hand it smells amazing!

Fauna:

DSCN5069.jpg

A dung beetle in a sinkhole..

DSCN5058.jpg

A horned toad I caught.

And finally, the extras:

DSCN5088.jpg

Pretty cool log.

DSCN5077.jpg

Something lives here

DSCN5076.jpg

Me again.

Well, that's it for now. If you guys ask for some more pics I'll be sure to post. :)

change the sand to clay and it looks alot like up here......yucca, prickly pear, sagebrush, black beetles and hroned toads....yep we have them all even this far north.......just dont have so much sand.....

Finally a pic of a horny toad, we looked all over for them at mother in laws years ago when she lived in Roswell. Nice pics !

I grew up in Roswell! I used to catch them every day.

Is that a horned ttoad or a horned LIzard?

Also I never though of Montana as this flat.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

It's a lizard, but it's called a horned toad. From a little distance away it looks like a toad becasue of the way it carries itself.

OH because I was gonna say, im good with my lizards but ive only heard horned lizard before. And i have seen toads with horns so i didnt know if you got those confused.. Toads im not as good with as lizards :-))

I am fairly certain if you plant Drosera capensis in any one of those spots it would change the entire ecosystem and take over.

Nice pics.

Phil

depends on your definition of flat......im out on the plains but its not exactly flat, lots of rolling hills and broken country.....

if yah look on a map of Montana im up in the northeast corner bout 70 miles from the NoDak border on Highway 2......going west on Highway 2 you dont find real mountains until yah hit Browning.....west and south of Billings is where yah hit them on the south end......

here is a pic that is a good representative of here taken bout 7 miles south of my house.....rolling to flat fields and outcrops of clay hills....
IMG_1769.jpg

more of the same, this is bout 60 miles west of me
aeb66fbb.jpg

You got mesquite up there?

nope to cold for it.......our native thorny as heck bush is bullberry.....

Very nice. I had a short horn horned toad that someone gave me when I was a kid but it died from worms. The pet stores around only carried the long horn ones, which don't look as good if you ask me.

Thanks for sharing.

Back