User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats the going price for these plants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats the going price for these plants?

S. June Bug seem hard to find, what is a typical price for one if someone manages to find a good sized specimen? Also, what about S. Ritchie Bell? Flies Demise?

Now that Judith Hindle is not going to be mass marketed by TC anymore, what do you think is going to happen to these plants? They've been very cheap, but I bet they go up in price as they are become harder to find.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are they going out of tc?! If i could get seeds i could keep them going

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dooms: seeds dont guarantee perfect pedigree....there's still some sort of recombination going on...old parents might manifest them out of the woodwork...especially with sarracenia. 'Judith Hindle' wasnt propagated from seed, i believe it was from a piece of the rhizome....

as for 'Judith Hindle's' future pricetag, i have a feeling that it will actually stay the same....most people who would have wanted one would have already had it, and i believe it divides at a reasonable rate, which will sustain propagation demands. I've only heard of two of the other cultivars: 'Doodlebug' and 'Flies Demise' both i believe are S. psittacina hybrids; and in my humble opinion, anything crossed by S. psittacina except by S. psittacina are (pardon my french) abominations.... :P ---so their prices will probably stay the same as well...anybody want to spite me and pay a premium for them? XD
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you know S. 'Judith Hindle' is no longer going to be under TC?? Link please.

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post

as for 'Judith Hindle's' future pricetag, i have a feeling that it will actually stay the same....most people who would have wanted one would have already had it, and i believe it divides at a reasonable rate, which will sustain propagation demands.
    "Reasonable rate" is a complete understatement. Mine divide like mad that I am forced to give several away every winter or throw them out.

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    and in my humble opinion, anything crossed by S. psittacina except by S. psittacina are (pardon my french) abominations....
    I used to think this, but after while I figured they weren't that ugly.

-Joel from Southern California

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because Agristarts 3 stops listing a plant that does not mean it is gone forever. Take Dionaea 'Cupped Trap' for example. And sundews like Drosera falconeri and D. spatulata come and go from their listing.

Supply can be affected by many factors including contamination of a batch to lack of demand. Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle' was showing up in grocery stores all over the place - so much so that I was finding them in overstock dollar stores like 99 cents Only. As far as I know Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle' is not patented like S. 'Cobra's Nest' so there's nothing to keep other nurseries from propagating this plant.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
    Why are they going out of tc?! If i could get seeds i could keep them going
    As Amph implied, seeds have nothing to do with this. Hybrids are an entirely different beast. You need a sterile culture to continue the line.

Quote Originally Posted by joossa View Post
    How do you know S. 'Judith Hindle' is no longer going to be under TC?? Link please.
    The main source for TC 'Judith Hindle' has, in fact, discontinued it. I'm afraid they don't issue press-releases Joossa, but I can tell you that I received the last 2 trays that they plan to produce.

Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    S. June Bug seem hard to find, what is a typical price for one if someone manages to find a good sized specimen? Also, what about S. Ritchie Bell? Flies Demise?
    As a retailer, I have seen very little interest in the UNC 'Bug' series. Also, since they are such fast-growing plants, the difference between a tiny division of a S. 'June Bug' and a good-sized plant is a couple years, tops. IMHO, Sarracenia cultivars (aside from a select few) are not a cash-crop.

Quote Originally Posted by back2eight
    Now that Judith Hindle is not going to be mass marketed by TC anymore, what do you think is going to happen to these plants? They've been very cheap, but I bet they go up in price as they are become harder to find.
    I don't anticipate a big price jump. You just won't find it @ Home Depot, Safeway & Lowes anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The owners of Judith Hindle have demanded more royalty for each sale so Ag3 is not producing them anymore. I don't know of anywhere else that is producing them.
    Last edited by adnedarn; 04-03-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Judith Hindle' divides enough that anyone who wants one can get it from another hobbyist. I didn't think that the demand for them was that great anyways.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast