Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My current indoor setup

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well the ghetto method is just forming some with foil and laying them on top of the fixture... shape them to where the focal point is the surface of the plants

but decent fixtures arent to bad if you look around. Around here i can get some 2' T8 fixtures with reflectors from Myers (sp?) (big box store) for under 15 USD and that is with bulbs included.

The reflector is white, but that is much much better then no reflector or one that is all wrinkled up with incorrect shape (which acts as a diffuser)

back in the day, I use to line walmart fixtures with mylar... that made an amazing difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, okay, so I'm probably better off skipping the foil and looking for a different light then (I'm sure glad this one was free). Out of curiosity did those lights last at all?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    well the ghetto method is just forming some with foil and laying them on top of the fixture... shape them to where the focal point is the surface of the plants
    Heh I gotta try this method. My fixture comes with the reflector but it is not too big and i'm suspecting that i am also dispersing too much energy in my setup.

I have one of these per shelf (with two different t8's in each) ($17 + 7 for lights T8s )

Currently I'm looking for inexpensive wire storage shelves (5 shelves) any advice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have that exact same Nepenthes from Lowe's. I'm calling it N. ventrata, though - doesn't have the hips I'd expect on a N. ventricosa, even if it is young.

And unless I'm horribly mistaken, that definitely isn't U. bisquamata. I am far from a Utricularia expert and I don't know what it is, but I'm quite sure it's not U. bisquamata unless it's some very different variety I've never seen. Just based on the foliage and its popularity, I might guess U. sandersonii, but that's a total guess and, like I said, I don't know my Utrics. Wait for someone else to chime in before making any definitive calls, LOL.

That aside, I've found space blankets to be a relatively effective, super cheap alternative to mylar - good for a student, at least!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xQuinnx View Post
    Haha, okay, so I'm probably better off skipping the foil and looking for a different light then (I'm sure glad this one was free). Out of curiosity did those lights last at all?
    I picked up a couple and sent one to varun.... his only complaint was the paint flaked off over time. I imagine for 15 bucks they didn't spend a whole lot of time in prepaint prep. But operationally, I think it's still fine after a couple years

oh the store is Meijers, I couldn't think of the spelling at work...

I used the walmart 4' 2 bulb T8's for years.... they were under 20 w/o bulbs.... but with those keep your receipt... it seemed one or two out of 5 would die while still under warranty... with receipt I would take them back for free exchange, no hassles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I use the Lithonia brand 4' T8 fixtures (2 bulbs each) that Home Depot sells. $19 a pop; I have two fixtures per shelf. The reflectors on those are a sort of shiny grey finish. I bought some foil HVAC duct repair tape and put a layer of that on the reflectors... it seems to work very well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use the Lithonia ones. I prefer the ones Lowe's sells, though, 'cause they're like $5 cheaper per fixture and they are painted white, which is a bit better than the gray reflectors the Lithonia ones have. I suspect the white paint will actually help a little against rust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thanks everyone! This will definitely help me when I'm light shopping next =)

And Reaper:
    I only call it Ventricosa because after I bought them I contacted the nursery to ask what it was since it was just labeled as a hybrid, and they said they grow both Ventricosa and Sanguinea but have the same packaging for all of them. I thought that it looked more like a Ventricosa than a Sanguinea, BUT since the nursery clearly did not care I would not be surprised if it was something completely different.

As for the Utric, it's possible. I would be thrilled if that were the case because I did at one time have U. Sandersonii, but it was tragically destroyed by a feral rat in our house =(. I used to have my two Utric pots, one was Bisquamata and the other was Sandersonii, right next to each other. They were both pretty messed up by the rat, but the Sandersonii pot was definitely destroyed. What I currently have hasn't flowered since that happened, so I could be wrong about which one survived. I would MUCH rather it be Sandersonii =)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast