What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yakity yak - I want a Kayak!

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I was at the farm store today and they have gotten in a selection of Kayaks, and they had one in particular I was interested in getting (lightweight enough for me to lug from my car to a water source pretty easily) but I don't know anything about 'em. I'm not planning on going over any rapids - we don't have any just lakes and placid rivers around here.

Does anyone here have a kayak and can give me some info about how to pick out a good one not just one that I think looks good? Is there that much difference between them other than size/weight? Also will I need a boat license for it since it's not an inflatable raft? If yes, what do those generally run?

I yak

As often as I can get out.
There are a couple of factors to consider when buying a yak.
Your size/weight, purpose for the yak (fishing, pleasure,whitewater,Ocean etc.)
I would avoid the farm store and go to a paddle shop, there they will fit you into a boat to suit your needs. Most will give an on the water demo if you like. Try as many as you can, you will feel it when it is right.
You can always visit my other home at NWKA.com (Northwest Kayak Anglers).
There you will find much on the subject of choosing the right Yak.

Beware...."the madness is the cure".

Welcome to the Yak side of the force!!!

Box gave good advice with his response.

I would avoid the farm store and go to a paddle shop, there they will fit you into a boat to suit your needs. Most will give an on the water demo if you like. Try as many as you can, you will feel it when it is right.
Generally agree with this but a few caveats:
- almost any store will push what they have on hand vs what might be the best boat for you
- what 'feels' right in the beginning may not be the best fit for you. It takes a while to get used to being stable in a kayak and if you pick something that is comfortable when you 1st start, you could find yourself feeling frustrated in a few weeks on the water. The differences between boats can be huge....

My wife & I each have Chesapeake touring kayaks & love them. They open up a new world that people confined to land don't get to see & wildlife are often much less fearful of someone in a boat then an upright person.

I'm hoping to free up enough time in the next few years to fabricate a strip-built kayak. The beauty and the possibilities with this type of construction are amazing!

I just bought a kayak. I use mine for just about everything. Fishing, hunting and just haveing fun on the water. I got mine from Costco as they had the best deal and I was familar with the kayak as a friend of mine has the same one. By far the best deal I could find. My biggest selling point was it had to be durable as I will put it thought some rough terrain fishing and hunting. That's my two cents, hope it helps.

Thanks for the input folks.

I don't know of any boating specialty shops around here, the farm store actually has the best selection I've found. They sell Kayaks at Sam's Club (single and two person models), the Mills Fleet Farm has about 6-8 single person models and there are two or three styles at the Gander Mountain outdoor store. But none of the shops have any ponds or anything where I can test it first before buying. I could sit in them on the floor just to see how well I fit into the different models. I don't plan on doing any white water rafting or anything so I don't know if more or less room is better for simple paddling around & photography.

My goals with it are only do do some sight seeing on local lakes & rivers. I wouldn't need extra space for fishing or hunting equipment, just myself, a canteen and eventually a camera. Don't wanna lose it in the drink the first time out! LOL

It appears that I will need a boat registration for it in MN that only costs about $25.

as stated before...try as many as you can before buying.
I do not have fancy yak's by any means, utilitarian for me.
I paddle an Ocean Kayak brand "Prowler 13" for the Ocean and lower river mostly, fishing rigged. I also have a smaller Ocean Kayak "Frenzy" more of a play boat for up river fishing, but she handles the Ocean just fine.
As RL7836 says, animals pay little attention to you in a Yak for some reason. I have been close enough to wading deer to touch them with the paddle, followed along with a family of river otters for 3 miles or so (but was told seriously by a parent, to leave when they reached their den), fished along side a pair of Ospreys ( they did better than us) and crapped on by large birds.
It is a truly fun and fulfilling hobby/sport/addiction.

FWIW...Pentax Optio W series of cameras are what most Yaker's I know carry, I have the W30.

Back