Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rainforest (warning: pic heavy)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rainforest is a very encouraging sight to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the kind comments. We really took our time walking the trails and I felt like I was in Nirvana with every step. Any direction I turned was cool stuff - like being in some figment of my imagination or something - really amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    you know what i'd do if i were combing for epiphytes: orchids and utrics!
    I checked before I left and there are no Orchidioides found in PR. However, once there, I realized how tough it would be to actually find them. How the heck do you find anything if it's not in flower? I saw all kinds of stuff that looked like U. alpina or U. jamesoniana leaves or possibly - cool orchids - but without flowers ..... Heck - on an epiphyte-covered tree trunk, it was not easy to differentiate vines, utrics, ferns or orchids (although utrics don't count here since they are only on other islands) - but there are lots of green things that have potential ...
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    boo on dropping the camera. beautiful pics, sure seems like you two had a great time!
    The camera drop was the last time I was down - probably 8-10 years ago. I didn't turn this one on until I had the leash secured on my wrist ...

Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    oh my.... very nice mate, momma was right to get ya off the beaten path.... (man I was close huh LOL)
    Yup!
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Oh very nice! Did you make it to Arecibo too?
    No - I had target destinations in the Northwest (Arecibo area), Northeast, Southwest & Southeast. I never expected to make it to all of them but we really only got to the Northeast since we decided to spend some additional time in the rainforest and a day playing around on the beach. While I didn't have much interest in Arecibo to be honest, the area nearby has a bunch of very interesting-sounding places to explore - - plenty of cool places to hike & caverns to check out - as well as wild coastline to wander.

The southeast had a butterfly sanctuary that sounded very interesting but when we called for reservations, they only spoke Spanish ... (my bad as an ugly mainlander). However, I really wanted to see the dry forest down in the Guanica reserve - but it was ultimately too far away ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    It's good to hear that going away from the resorts was a much more enjoyable and hospitable experience. Thanks for sharing!
    Yup - quite unexpected on my part (my bad as an ugly (& stupid) mainlander).

Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    The rainforest is a very encouraging sight to see.
    It appears that PR has done a fantastic job in preserving this forest for the future. There are no through roads and much of the preserve has no roads at all. .... and the reserve is large. Here's a map - the big green thing on the right is the rainforest national forest. In addition, all of the locals seem to have a very intense national pride in El Yunque. I suspect there would be some serious problems if a politician with ties to big business ever tried to exploit it ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See any tarantulas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you guys had a great time. I'm totally envious. It would be great to go off the beaten path.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a great place to wander!

I know it's bad to say but the temptation to bring home small cuttings of all those epiphytes & mosses to try in terrariums would be so hard to resist!

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice!
    I love all the epiphytes everywhere.
    Never being out of the US proper mice elf, this makes me want to think about it!
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I was born and raised in Florida, I *am* Puerto Rican and do have a very deep sense of "home" of the place. The pictures brought tears to my eyes...it's been ten years since I was there last...
    I will say, the stories you've heard aren't farfetched- there are absolutely bad areas and bad groups, but like anywhere else, not *everyone* is bad, sad to say but one of my cousins down there is exactly the kind you've been warned about . But locals can be very warm and welcoming, as well- I developed an entire second family last time I was there when I stayed with mi abuela- all of her neighbors just adored me- they taught me Spanish, taught me how to Merengue...staying and dining in the humbler places definitely allows for a more authentic experience, a more true taste of the lifestyle. (Oh, isn't the food to die for? Especially fresh fruit- mangoes, quenepas, and guanabana... )

Anyway, I'm just reminiscing- I'm glad you were able to experience it and have such a lovely time! Thanks to sharing the pictures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW, beautiful pictures! Your pictures looks like they came right out of a spread in National Geographic magazine. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12